Looking for some last minute Valentine’s decor ideas? If you live near a dollar store, run over there and grab the following things to make some pretty ridiculously cute candle holders for Valentine’s Day. Plus, it makes a great craft to do with kids. Even I found it relaxing and fun.
All of the items can be found at the dollar store
- Glass Vase -Decorating Aisle
- Pink tissue paper – Party Section
(I ended up using two colours) I did buy three colours (shown below) but I found that two was enough because of the layering.
- White Glue – Craft Section
- Foam Brush – Craft Section
- Pre-cut some strips of coloured tissue paper for the kids. I thought that they would rip the tissue paper but it wasn’t as easy to do as I had thought, so pre-cutting some pieces, or letting them try cutting their own, is preferable.
- Mix a little bit of water with some white glue, so that the glue is a little less thick
- Apply some of your glue mixture to the glass, it needn’t be too thick. The thicker it is, I found that the tissue gets too saturated.
- Apply the tissue paper over the glue, layering as you go along
- Let dry, place a candle in it and you’re done!
This project was inspired by Martha Stewart, who did something similar with crepe garland. And as much as I love her look I think for kids it’s a great deal of fun to go crazy with layering, and seeing how colours change. A tutorial for her project couldn’t be found, but you can find the image on her website here: Martha Stewart
pssst ….follow me elsewhere…