Baby Food and an 8 month old

Oscar just turned 8 months old. It seems like yesterday he couldn’t hold his head up, and now he’s doing the worm across the floor, figuring out how to get to MakMak the cat, or crawl over to me from across the room.

For a few months now we’ve been introducing new foods to the little guy. First was rice, then it was peas, sweet potatoes, carrots, bananas and blueberries. Recently I tried pureed turkey and he wrinkled his noes and gagged. I gagged too after I tasted it. I’m feeling apprehensive about what to do now, and I panic that I’m going to be feeding Oscar pureed foods for the rest of his life in fear that he will choke.

Joanna from A Cup of Jo brought up the same question , asking others if they had recommendations on what to feed babies, and I would love to know if anyone had any books. My Mom made up some batches of organic vegetables, apples and Bananas (Thanks Mom!) and Oscar is devouring them. Anyone have any cookbook suggestions? Or even just some words of advice on how to proceed?

Emma @ twoforjoy
    February 9, 2011 at 10:31 am

A friend gave me one of these
    It makes food quite smooth, but with a bit more texture than when you blitz everything in a blender. I started off with more veg/bland food but over a few months, built him up to eating everything we ate. In the UK, we're advised the only foods to avoid before the age of 1 are shellfish, honey and peanuts, but everything else, he had a taste.

The huge benefit of doing this is that we now have a 20 month old who eats absolutely everything.

hope that helps!

Lauren
    February 9, 2011 at 12:33 pm

Hi Lindsay! I don't have any cookbooks, but I do have a 9 month old daughter and a 2 year old niece who I got to practice on before mine 🙂 I know its very scary to watch them gag BUT they are not choking! Its actually a reflex because they are not used to having these more solid foods hit the back of their throat. Its crazy, but this will change in 1 day. 1 day, they are making that choking face, and the next day, they figure it out and are devouring solids! Its hard to watch, but my advice is to just cut up tiny tiny pieces of very soft foods like cheese, watermelon, chicken from soup or the miraculous gerber puffs. Once they get the hang of it, they will eat! Our taste & theirs is completely different….since they love breastmilk and formula and we'd gag from that too. We just got back from the Dr yesterday and were told she should be trying tiny pieces of food from our plate. He said pasta is good. I know my little one loves ravioli. That's my advice! Hope it helps and that Oscar starts eating more solid foods for you without that very scary face!
    Lots of Luck,

shannon(8foot6)
    February 9, 2011 at 12:36 pm

my doctor warned me in advance that turkey and chicken aren't textures baby likes…he suggested mixing them into other foods until baby is used to the flavor, then you can try solo again…i used to make chicken and peas…

you are on the right track…feeding baby is a tough job! I never used a cookbook, we just stocked the freezer with baby cubes full of homemade carrots, squash, sweet potatoes, peas, applesauce, pear sauce (you get the picture)…and he loved avocado, and hard-boiled egg yokes

good luck mom!

Christiekauffman
    February 9, 2011 at 1:14 pm

Butternut squash was always a popular one for my babies , easy to roast in the oven I would put a little butter and real maple syrup while it baked , it mashes beautifully , I don't remember adding a whole lot of meat , I always made the baby food for my girls , I would have loved the baby bullet ,so amazing , I would just thicken up the texture over time and my kids were on table foods very early and never had a problem transitioning to "real" food , you can blend foods you are eating if they have had all the foods within a meal first of course, just add water to thin it if the texture is too much , good luck it is a learning experience.

Sangii77
    February 9, 2011 at 1:27 pm

Love your blog. I have a 2 year old son, it took a while for me to realise that my son was gagging because i was pureeing the food too much, try soft cooked finger foods and see what he does with it.

Donna Mandeville
    February 9, 2011 at 1:27 pm

I loved 'blender baby food" and "gourmet baby food"

I made all my kids' baby food – blended it, used a cookie scoop to scoop it into little balls, froze it on cookie sheets, popped them into freezer bags, labelled and always had some on hand. I think I used jarred food fewer than 5 times over two kids. My oldest was and is a great eater so this was very rewarding…my youngest was a bit less so but I perservered. Last night when she was eating beets like crazy i was glad i had…I do believe that building a taste for all sorts of foods starts early.

Good luck!

Ceffertz
    February 9, 2011 at 1:48 pm

When they start on solids sometimes it is hard to think of things they can eat. Those Gerber puffs are great, anything that can dissolve without a lot of chewing. Waffles, pasta, muffins… It takes a long time but I would only offer a few bites worth at a time. If you put too much in front of him he'll probaby stuff it all in his mouth at one time. Knock of wood, none of my kids have choked, they have REALLY strong gag reflexes which has come in handy when something goes down the wrong way. Good luck, and don't worry so much about the food, he won't go hungry!!

Sabrina L
    February 9, 2011 at 2:03 pm

I have a 6 year old and a 17 month old – both of whom are excellent eaters. My best advice is to offer Oscar small bites of whatever it is that you are eating. My kids have always eaten the same things for lunch and dinner that my husband and I do. This is after they had teeth of course…not sure how many Oscar has! The pureeing stage will be over soon…I think my son was done by about 11 months.

[email protected]:podge
    February 9, 2011 at 2:11 pm

From a mother of now 12, 15, 16 year olds, trust me they won't eat pureed foods forever.Just follow his lead, introducing bits and pieces as he gets older. Mine hated meat as well, I just mixed meat with mashed potatoes, squash, etc eventually weaning the veggies and giving them meat plain.

Good luck. And boy he is so adorable, Great photos. Hope you write a post on how you take photos, they are always so good!

Stickyheels
    February 9, 2011 at 2:13 pm

Deb from SmittenKitchen, which is a FANTASTIC cooking blog, had a baby just over a year ago and has put together a section on baby food which is really interesting and informative. Here's the link if you want to check it out: http://smittenkitchen.com/baby/

Natalie
    February 9, 2011 at 2:32 pm

My son Elliott is 11 months, and we still do some purees occasionally, but we've transitioned to finger foods like banana, cubed avocado, blueberries (they love popping them in!), sectioned clementines, soft cooked veggies, whole wheat pasta, etc. If you're doing really smooth purees right now, try some chunkier ones (oatmeal, chunky applesauce, etc) and then move on from there. Try just letting him pick up safe finger foods and play with them- it's a mess, but it gets them interested in food!

Catherine
    February 9, 2011 at 2:46 pm

I like this book:
    Good luck! Your little guy is adorable!

LindseyIvory
    February 9, 2011 at 2:50 pm

Try the book Baby Love. It's pretty simple, has great pictures, and is easy to follow. There are recipes from purees to toddler food, and it's written by a chef. I love it, and am slowly cooking my way through! My little lady is only a couple weeks older than Oscar, and she has eaten all of them so far…from pureed strawberries with figs to chicken soup! Good luck!

Sleepachu
    February 9, 2011 at 3:13 pm

Have you thought about allowing to self-feed? When my babies were that age, I skipped pureed foods and simply mashed up their food with a fork and let them feed themselves. Avocado, sweet potato, squash, cooked pinto beans and other soft foods are perfect for this. Not too long from now, you'll be able to simply mash up (and eventually cut up) things from your own dinner plate. Good luck to you! 🙂

I know the choking thing is scary, especially with your first babe, but remember that babies have a very strong gag reflex and are able to get most everything out by themselves. He'll probably also go through a bit of a shoveling phase when he's older, where he overstuffs his mouth and gags a bit. My daughter did that a lot before turning 2, and my son does it even at 15 months!

Ashley Izsak
    February 9, 2011 at 3:28 pm

I am pregnant but a friend of mine bought me a book called Easy Gourmet Baby Food which looks great! I've also seen the Beaba babycook and thought that looked like a good idea.

February 9, 2011 at 3:52 pm

I was terrified too of solids so we started small, nothing larger than pea sized (so I spent a lot of time cutting things up). But, it worked! Sure, he gagged a few times (their gag reflex is actually further to the front of their mouths than ours is apparently), but he learned quickly how to mash with his gums and pinch with his cute chubby fingers!

He's nearing a year now and I feed him whatever I'm eating most days. I'll cut off chunks and let him have at it. We still cut up harder to chew things like meat and grapes but rather than pea sized, we've graduated to dime sized.

Let Oscar lead you, try meat but rather than pureeing it, just cut it small and let him try to feed himself. Ground turkey is great to try! Over time you'll both build the confidence you need to be comfortable with solids.

BTW..we started table food with Noah around 8 months, prior to that it was all puffs and stuff that just dissolved when he gummed it (started trying those around 6.5 – 7 months).

Kim
    February 10, 2011 at 3:19 pm

Also, I wanted to add that Oscar is the cutest and your pictures of him are amazing! They make me want to kick myself for not having taken such nice ones of my little one. Thanks for inspiring me.

Christine
    February 13, 2011 at 2:06 pm

Have you seen the commercials for the Baby Bullet. It purees foods and comes with little storage containers that also have a date dial, so you can see when you made it. If i had a little one, I would buy that system. Looks really easy to make all your own homemade foods.

The crooked bookshelf
    February 13, 2011 at 4:52 pm

Maybe you can try things mentioned here.. http://smittenkitchen.com/baby/