Landscaping Dreams in the Dead of Winter

William Chandler of Chandler Landscaping designed this gorgeous yard featured in Style At Home’s May 2010 Issue. Bill, as I know him, also did my parents yard and it is hands down, the most beautiful residential garden I have ever seen. Timeless, sophisticated and traditional would be words I think of when I see his work. I’m doing some graphic design work for Bill (his website is coming soon) and I had mentioned last Summer our dislike of our front yard. Fast forward to a week ago, and after Bill and I were wrapping up a meeting, he slips this out of a folder for me….

It’s OUR yard. I was shocked. It was beautiful. I am in in love with the possibilities. Especially what he did for our walkway. Isn’t that gorgeous how it isn’t just straight, and it is wider – which will be fantastic for the stroller. Bill worked in plants we already had purchased like the Hydrangeas and boxwood’s. The garden would be filled with lavender and Thyme and Lilacs. Although we couldn’t likely do ALL of the planting right away, getting the new walkway would be an amazing improvement. Not sure if it’s in our budget but we will see!  (To see our Front Landscaping wish list from last year here click here) What a perfect time of year to start dreaming of flowers and greenery.

(Main photo courtesy of Style at Home Magazine, May 2010)
Photography by Andreas Trauttmansdorff

Design Love
    January 24, 2011 at 7:03 pm

Stunning! He does beautiful work! Can't wait to see what you do! Our home is in desperate need of landscaping also, but havent' found anyone who I love yet!
    So excited for you to get this plan…

Cindy

[email protected]
    January 24, 2011 at 7:08 pm

Lucky girl! That is gorgeous! Modern but not stark. Can't wait to see the (eventual) transformation!

Kerry
    January 24, 2011 at 7:27 pm

OH WOW! Lindsay that looks incredible! I'm so looking forward to seeing what you guys do!

I've been dreaming of what we'll do in our backyard, it's gross and I'm embarrassed our neighbours have to look at it. We still have old materials from when we ripped DOWN the old front entrance piled in the yard… seriously… yuck!

Shannon
    January 24, 2011 at 7:36 pm

GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love that there are 4 big trees…

I am meeting with Kennedy McRae next week to see the landscaping plans he has come up with for our yard! I asked for a woodlot in the front yard, in order to convey my LOVE of big trees! (Obviously they will be small trees at first, but I am patient)

Emilija @theHomeSlice
    January 24, 2011 at 7:55 pm

What a lovely surprise Lindsay!! The concept drawings look fabulous and so inviting! I love walking up to the front walkway after planting something new – this gives you tons to look forward too!!

In the Tweeds
    January 24, 2011 at 8:07 pm

This will look (and smell!) AMAZING! I love how he balanced the lilacs. What an amazing plan!

Edin's House
    January 24, 2011 at 8:09 pm

{{sigh}} Lilacs, azaleas & hydrangeas. Lovely!! I like the pathway, too… a bit of a meander through the plantings and up to the porch 😉

We completed the hardscaping in our front yard last year (major work – we're on a slope!) but we haven't done a lot of planting… mostly because I'm afraid of plants (i.e., killing them)!!! I have a landscape designer I consult with, but what I really want is for HER to do pick the plans, where they go and then plant them for me!!

Good luck with your terrific new plans!!
    Victoria

Melissa at HOUSEography
    January 24, 2011 at 8:23 pm

That is so bizarre! I was just cleaning out magazines, and ripped this picture out of that issue as well! Hope you can make those changes – a wider sidewalk is so welcoming!

Calmly Chaotic
    January 24, 2011 at 8:50 pm

Oh that plan looks great and to have it given to you without even asking, amazing! We need to badly landscape our backyard. My husband did landscaping through university so he knows what he is doing, it's just saving the necessary funds to tackle the job!

Grace @ Sense and Simplicity
    January 25, 2011 at 12:07 am

I love how the pathway is wider and has a bit of a meander to it. I agree that getting rid of the lawn is a great idea.

Sara @ Russet Street Reno
    January 25, 2011 at 1:55 am

I love it. As far as I'm concerned, everywhere you look should be beautiful and this fits the bill!

karen @ our slo house
    January 25, 2011 at 2:46 pm

It's so pretty. I'm jealous!

I can only start dreaming about landscaping projects, because we have to do some minor-renovation to the house first. And if I've learned anything at all from our previous fixer-upper, it's that landscaping tends to get tromped on and ruined by men in construction boots. : (

So I'll wait. And dream.

Gina Mulic
    January 26, 2011 at 2:18 pm

It's beautiful, soft and pretty. If you choose white florals (Lilac and Azalea) to match your Hydrangea, it'll look beautiful under moonlight too. Or soft evening lights depending on the light pollution in your yard. It's nice how it's designed to hug you along the walkway.

As a mom, I would suggest leaving the grass for play space and then switching to pavers in a few years. Just until Oscar (or sibs) is school age. We have a park close by but no useable yard and it would have been nice to plop the kids in the yard while I make dinner in the summer (especially because yours is a safe fenced in yard).