In DIY

DIY Headboard Instructions

Here is our pretty simple DIY Project of the headboard.

First, I found a fabric. It was perfect, but of course, it’s one of the hardest types of fabric that involves seams and painstaikingly making sure lines are always straight.

blog_invu

I was almost deterred from picking this fabric when I realized how difficult it would be but I’m glad I took on the challenge. And if I can do it, seriously, anyone can. So, here is my note – Since I chose a pattern/stripe I had some extra steps that wouldnt be necessary if I had gone with a solid. So, a few of these steps wont be applicable to you use a single colour fabric.

I wanted the stripes vertical, which meant I needed to have a seam because the width of my headboard was going to be 77 inches.

headboard

The initial thought is to have a seam in the middle, but after consideration I decided to have 2 seams, one on either side of the headboard so that the biggest piece of fabric would be in the middle, and would be less visible as a seam.

blog_headboard_seams

Problem. I don’t own a sewing machine. So, I went into MacFab that is in our area and explained the project, fabric in hand and that I needed 2 seams. The quote for 2 seams…$15. Totally worth it – It was done in less than 24 hours. Plus, they are experienced, and were pros at matching the stripes up. Result – perfect seams, and disaster avoided.

blog_headboard4

(MacFab sewed my seam)

Next up I got a board from Lowes. I had the board cut to the size I wanted.

next, I bought a piece of 2″ foam cut to match. (See resources at the bottom)

blog_headboard

I lay the 2″ foam that was the exact same size as the board on top of the board and spray adhesived (outside in the open air) the foam to the board. I then put the batting over top so it goes over the edge of the board but I didn’t staple the batting just yet. I just made sure I had enough to go around the corners & edges.

blog_headboard2

I put the board on 2 chairs so I could possition the stripes as I wanted them, and I steamed out any wrinkles. I then crawled UNDER the board on the floor and started taping with a heavy duty tape the fabric to just secure it in the right place. This step could be avoided if I had not chosen a patterned fabric, but possitioning the fabric perfectly was so important so we took great time in the following steps.

blog_headboard3

Once it was taped up, I flipped it over on to the floor and started stapling the fabric to the board, every so often flipping it over with Aubrey’s help to make sure that the lines were still straight.

blog_bed

Once that was done, it was time for the legs. With the left over board from when they cut it to size at Lowes, Aubrey made ugly, but functional legs. You’ll never see them, and why waste good material. Screwed the legs to the board and I propped it up behind the bed.

blog_bed2

Ta-da!

blog_headboard2

Add in a few 24″ pillows on either side making it cozy like a couch.

blog_headboard

And for other, most likely better explained tutorials, see these resources that I refrenced in making mine. (1) StyleNest (2) Three Men and a Lady (3) House and Home Magazine

Shopping Resources

Foam & Batting – Bartons Flooring 1276 Queen ST W, Toronto

Fabric for headboard – InVu Drapery & Fabrics

Fabric for pillows – Designer Fabrics

Seamstress to sew the 2 seams – MacFab

MDF Board for the headboard – Lowes (2 cuts are free)

October 6, 2010 at 5:34 pm

Don't sell yourself short – these are fabulous instructions! The step-by-step with pictures is great for someone that hasn't done that sort of thing before. Don't know how the other tutorials could be better explained.

The info about keeping the full width in the center is super – it really does make a difference in the visibility of the seams. Yes it means a bit more cutting & sewing but makes such a difference in the end result.

Great job – it looks so inviting. I know you'll enjoy it a lot.

Cheryl
    Orlando

Sweet T Paper Designs
    October 6, 2010 at 5:48 pm

Fantastic!

Thanks for posting! I'll have to modify them to make a headboard for my son's double bed. : )

Helena - A Diary of Lovely
    October 6, 2010 at 5:49 pm

this is honestly amazing, fantastic work, I wish I would make one!!

October 6, 2010 at 6:10 pm

This has me wondering where we might need something similar in our house – your instructions are wonderful! Thanks for explaining the seam stuff. The project turned out so great I want to crawl right up for a summer nap!

simplygrove
    October 7, 2010 at 6:02 am

I am loving your blog and all of your hard work!!! Lovely lovely!! xxoo

kimmysphere
    October 7, 2010 at 10:54 am

Wow great tutorial, easy to follow. I love the way it turned out. For a second there, I thought it was a giant couch! Looks awesome, you should be proud. Thank god I found your site. Some great ideas here, cheers.

Kimmy

http:kimmysphere.blogspot.com

Krista & Ben
    October 7, 2010 at 1:20 pm

I think it looks great! I'm thinking about a similar project myself. Where did you get the frame and cute cover that hides it? I like the simplicity.

Tasha Stenning
    October 7, 2010 at 2:06 pm

I loved this headboard, how cute is that!?! I recently made one for my guest room. I used a chocolate brown velvet curtain panel from IKEA. It fit perfectly and didn't require much trimming for my queen sized bed. But because you could see the edges from the sides of the bed, the wood piece I used went all the way to the floor. I love your striped one though! Sooo cute!

pam@pixelimpress
    October 8, 2010 at 9:21 pm

perfect timing that i found this post. we're about to make one for our new king size bed and yes, i too, bought a patterned fabric. glad to see you made 2 seams. that's what the lady at my fabric store recommended, so there's not one seam down the middle. looks more professional. nice job! pam

October 8, 2010 at 9:51 pm

this looks just wonderful!

Shannon
    October 9, 2010 at 1:21 am

the headboard really is beautiful!

THANKS FOR LISTING YOUR SOURCES!!!

You know I forgot all about invu, or BB's or whatever its called…its only about a 35min walk from my house…and here I have been putting off getting fabric for a few projects because there is nothing nearby…tsk tsk!

October 11, 2010 at 6:12 pm

What a great how-to. Thanks for sharing. And your headboard looks perfect. Are you planning to put anything arty on the wall above it?

jbhat

Amy
    October 11, 2010 at 6:22 pm

It's perfect!

koosh @ candidkoosh
    October 15, 2010 at 2:42 am

Love the headboard, but hey just a thought, flip your mattress around and upside down so the sag in the front is in the back and instead of on top its underneath. I always notice this in all the pics you post of the bed. I hope you don't take this the wrong way I'm a bit OCD in that respect, meant with all due respect.

At Home with Kim Vallee
    October 19, 2010 at 4:28 pm

Beautiful project, Amy. The overall look of the room is beautiful. I like the pendant fixture a lot. We shared your project on my blog.

December 31, 2010 at 7:05 pm

Can you explain better how exactly you attached the legs to the board?

December 31, 2010 at 9:11 pm

Anonymous – We literally just screwed extra board that we had left over on the back in order to just make it stand. It isn't beautiful but it works

Jenandwarren
    February 17, 2011 at 1:44 pm

Hi there…beautiful nook! I was directed to your blog from Brooklyn Limestone. I would love to purchase the fabric you used for the headboard and went to InVu but could not find it. Would you mind sharing the name of it? Jen

February 17, 2011 at 2:22 pm

I'm not sure of what the name is unfortunately, but what I recommend is to print off a picture from above and bring it with you. I was at the Yonge and Lawrence location. I had trouble once finding a fabric and she opened a binder full of samples. So even if it isn't on the floor, it perhaps can be still ordered. Also, consider Designer Fabrics. Although I bought my fabric from InVu, Designer Fabrics carries the same patterns sometimes for a few dollars less.

Jenn Lee
    February 19, 2011 at 5:30 am

This is such a great post. I'm currently working on my sons nursery and for some reason he hates sleeping in his crib but will sleep on the sofa or beds. A daybed like this would be such a great addition to his nursery.

I'm new to your blog but have enjoyed the reads. I'm also a Torontonian mom blogger so it's aways great to meet new fantastic local bloggers! Hope you drop by my blog and say hi when you get a chance.