Repainting Trim

Any day now (hopefully) we’ll be getting our bookshelves (see this post). And in prepearation for their delivery, I have started a project that has long been on my to-do list. It’s quite boring, but needs to be done.

white trim

I’m repainting the trim in the living room! Oooh! Exciting.

I’ve been taping up the room and everything has been moved into the dining room. (Which we have some awesome plans for coming up – but more on that later)

Ok, so why am I doing this? Well – perhaps you recall my discovery from awhile ago (here).

spare room yellowing of trim
(August 27th, 2009 post)

To remind you, I discovered that white oil paint yellows over time. And I discovered this, when I noticed all of my gorgeous white oil trim yellowing about a year after moving in. Ughh.

It’s more obvious in certain areas of our house, like our living room. Now, you can’t tell from the picture of the living room above, but should you stand in the room, you would notice the difference immediately if I were to point it out. (I admit, I would have to point it out for you to notice but upon doing so, you would spot the colour difference)

Before new bookshelves go into this space, I wanted to prime, and repaint the trim in latex semi-gloss. Sooo exciting I know, but it feels so good to start taping! 😉

Linds

Lisa Joy
    September 12, 2010 at 6:14 pm

I know exactly what you mean! We gutted and remodeled our house 3 years ago and now I want to repaint the trim in the *whole house*! There are still sections of quarter round that are either unfinished or only primed and all over the house are places where the bottom of the vacuum cleaner has scuffed black streaks onto the baseboards. Drives me nuts! {I think I need to invent a vacuum base cover that's white to solve the problem!} But with an active 3 year old and 1 year old, I think my baseboards are going to have to wait a lot longer for me to tackle them. 🙂

Stefanie
    September 12, 2010 at 8:36 pm

Uggg, same problem here. I love the durability of oil base but the yellowing drives me huts! You probably know this already, but latex painted directly over oil will not hold up. It scrapes off for a little bit of nothing. You have to prime it first….learned this the hard way!! LOL

Cozy.Cottage.Cute.
    September 12, 2010 at 11:19 pm

I can feel your pain. The previous owners of our place had the whole main floor painted one solid colour of drab beige and it's taken me for-e-v-e-r to paint it all white. I'm so slow at it because I get bored. It's almost done though, 4 years later…. 🙂

christine, just bella
    September 13, 2010 at 12:14 am

Wow, good to know, good to know. Thanks for the tip!! Good luck, with all the painting 🙂

Design Love
    September 13, 2010 at 3:49 am

Painting can be daunting…I've been doing alot of it lately! But so worth it in the end! I just get the music going and continue.
    Wow, what a drag that it yellows like that! It will look so new and fresh for your cabinets!

Cindy
    xo

Maggie Rose
    September 13, 2010 at 6:22 pm

Oh, how frustrating! We need to touch up our trim, but mostly because the last tenants to paint didn't tape over the trim at all, so when we did our nice & neat paint job, we were left with a sliver of the last wall paint color on the trim – and it's much darker, so quite noticeable in person! Plus some of the baseboards have floor paint on them. They were sloppy painters in general – painted over outlets, hinges, sloppy around corners… it's awful! We're almost done cleaning up after them, but it's been a year and I've yet to tackle that dang trim.