In Renovations

Faucet picked

Hello beautiful sink (not yet installed, but still oh so beautiful)

blog_bathroom2

We finally found hardware that we liked for the sink. Finding the right faucet was harder than I thought. I kept thinking that a lot of faucets look like Cedric Sneer from the TV Show “The Racoons”. (Take a look at the Pink Guy – you’ll see what I mean) But when I saw this one, I felt as though it was timeless and perfect for the house. It took me forever to find a handle set I liked, and since this set was *just* over our budget, so we caved. It’s the Delta Dryden set.

blog_sink1

I simply adore it. Now, we have the following to do in the near future…

blog_bathroom4

1) Anyone know how to hide that stupid thing? I think I may have to buy a really beautiful garbage bin to hide it – but really – anyone else encounter this?

2) Window Coverings – Do we simply add film on the windows to hide us from the outside, giving us a modern look, or do we go with beautiful romans in a fabric. Decisions, Decisions. For now, the paper is working just fine.

3) Somewhere other than the ledge for this paper roll

4) Mirror – I would have prefered to do a square but in the design process we totally miscalcultaed where that electrical outlet went and so I don’t think it will work. Ughh. I’m so irritated that I missed this when we were in the building stage. It’s a bit of a sore spot in our household.

Kerry
    September 23, 2010 at 2:57 pm

It's looking great Lindsay, and I agree – picking the faucet was hard for our basement. B ended up picking it, and I still don't think I 100% love it… but I'll deal for now.

As for the toilet hose – they are hard to hide. Ours is most definitely not hidden.

For toilet paper, we found a nice free standing roll holder. Because of where the toilet is located, it's the only thing that makes sense. Mounting it on the wall would've made for necessary and strange body contortions in order to grab some TP.

I have faith that you will come up with great solutions for everything. You always do! 🙂

Kelly
    September 23, 2010 at 3:07 pm

We did film on the window of our basement bathroom and I love it. It lets light in, which the room needs, but provides privacy.

Sorry, no advice about the other stuff.

Lookin' good!

Anita Winter
    September 23, 2010 at 3:12 pm

I love the pedestal sink! Gorgeous!

emily @ emily posts
    September 23, 2010 at 3:42 pm

I wonder if you used some kind of medicine cabinet that would come up off the wall, and use the edge of the mirror to disguise the plug??

Love the paint! Love the faucet! Looks great

my
    September 23, 2010 at 4:05 pm

1 – I too have not found any solution for this. However instead of using a flexible pipe, the plumber installed a hard chrome pipe that is bendable but doesn't give that sightly S shape. It makes it look more clean and polished.

2 – I'd go with some window film in frosted so it keeps the modern look

4 – There is a company out there that does medicine cabinets so you can actually hide the outlet inside the medicine cabinet. If not you could possible get a custom mirror cut and framed (quite inexpensive) for the perfect size…if not you can always move the outlet.

[email protected] at Home
    September 23, 2010 at 4:53 pm

love the lines of the faucet.

I would add romans, just for the colour and a touch of softness … but you would lose the light …

caroline
    September 23, 2010 at 5:30 pm

I hear you about the difficulty of planning outlet locations accurately at the outset of construction. I can't tell you how many outlets I would have liked to scoot over just an inch or two…

I too am drawn to angular mirrors, but I think an oval mirror could look fantastic in your space. It would be a nice contrast to the angular pedestal (and to the frames outside the room). If I look at that top picture and imagine an oval mirror above the sink, I think it would really set off the squarer shapes of the other elements. Just my two cents…

Shannon
    September 23, 2010 at 6:02 pm

I once saw a picture of a few subway tiles used as a backsplash above the sink…it was literally, like, 10 tiles, brick pattern, two rows…(I probably will never find the picture again, but you may have seen it too?)

that might help balance out the outlet near the sink?

We got a frosted window for our basement bathroom, and just did the film upstairs…I am happy with it…I don't like too much fabric in bathrooms…

If you get 5 minutes – pop on over to my blog and enter the CSN giveaway — you could win some $$ to buy a new toilet paper roll from allmodern.com…they have a ton!

Tammy
    September 23, 2010 at 8:56 pm

Lindsay,

We used a window film that looks like rice paper on our bathroom window. It lets light in but no peeping eyes! We found it at Home Depot!

: ) Your basement bathroom is very inspiring and this is what I'm going to do to my son's bathroom. All of it!

September 23, 2010 at 8:59 pm

It looks fantastic!

Here's my 2 cents on your issues –

1) Is there a shorter flexible supply pipe available? I think a more direct line might be less of an eyesore. Or if you can find one in white like Jeannine did that might help.

2) I would probably go with some sort of patterned frosted film for the window since it so inset.

3) It looks like you have enough room for a wall mounted TP holder without major contortions being necessary – but if not, there are nice free standing ones out there. Either way I'd probably want something that coordinates with the faucet – kinda squared and clean lines.

4) It really depends on how big of a mirror you want or need. If you don't go as wide as the sink you could probably do a rectangle. Or how about a stretched out octagonal mirror? The clipped corners would allow you to go wider & still miss the outlet. And maybe splurge on a fancy outlet plate.

As with all you do I'm sure it will be lovely – it is already nicer than either of my bathrooms!

Cheryl
    Orlando

Tammy
    September 23, 2010 at 8:59 pm

Oh, and the mirror issue:

try something like this:

would look great with our faucet!

Lisa
    September 24, 2010 at 2:40 pm

What about painting the water inlet hose to the toilet?

I'd go with the frosted film for the window. (Does it open?) Or maybe a fine/sheer cotton on a tension rod – without too much fullness. Easy to wash and freshen up. Or even a piece of (poly) lace with no fullness if you found a pattern you liked. (Poly really holds up well in sunlight and washing. Cotton lace tends to disintegrate.)

Good luck. It's really coming together nicely.

Connie @ SogniESorrisi
    September 24, 2010 at 4:06 pm

Looks great. Love the faucet choice and nice toilet–an American Standard, I think?

I would go for Roman shades and maybe a narrower rectangular mirror.

September 26, 2010 at 2:02 am

We have the same faucets. Delta makes coordinating accessories for the Dryden line. The TP holder is nice – the bar flips up for the roll to be changed (as opposed to a pressure mounted bar in the middle of the two brackets). Hope this helps!

Roncy Vic
    September 26, 2010 at 12:29 pm

For #1, i think it would look cleaner and more classic if you used a rigid supply line, these were used before the invention of braided flexible hoses. They are a little more finnicky to work with, but have the timeless look that the rest of your bathroom has. Here's an example of what it looks like:

Love all of the other choices you guys have made. The faucet looks grogeous!

Andrea S.
    September 26, 2010 at 6:34 pm

Very nice, beautiful choice Lindsay! And I won't judge you for watching real housewives, I do it too! Don't know if I can bear to take decorating advice from Kelly Bensimon though!

September 28, 2010 at 4:17 pm

There is a circular "O" cover, similar to those that surround a shower spout, that are available to "finish" the look around the toilet water line. They have a hinge on them, so merely open it up, put it around the water line, close it, and then secure with some clear silicone caulking. That's it, that's all.