In Garden

Porch Drapery

We’ve been using the front porch a lot now that the Bear Chairs are in. Last night the three of us watched the rain come poring down.

aubrey and oscar

My friend Erin and I were sitting there later on that evening while Aubrey was out and I commented that I disliked the view of seeing the bins to the right. (in Toronto we have these massive garbage bins that are an eye sore). Erin suggested some porch drapery. Duh. What an awesome idea.

It is a beautiful look & I’ve seen on other houses. So here are some inspirational photos….may be nice to add in, and very inexpensive I would imagine.

porch drapes

Blog_garden_4

In our garden, we had a metal shed that was missing doors. Because replacing the shed was not a cost we wanted to do, I added in some white shower curtain pannels to give a beachy look, and hide the shed contents. (Project here) So out there, I used the shower curtains, and they wash easily, and are pretty durable. However, they aren’t the kind of fabric I’d want on our front porch. So I guess my question is, I wonder if we could just use regular fabric, or drapes, like the Ikea ones from our Nursery? Decisions, decisions. πŸ˜‰

Jenny
    July 29, 2010 at 3:07 pm

I think I'd rather go with a nice shower curtain. You never know what "regular" fabric is gonna look like after rain, it might take a while for it to dry and I'd be afraid it's just gonna look yucky after a while. And IKEA shower curtains, for example, feel and look like regular fabric, not like plastic.
    But I really like the idea! I'm sure it will look great!

Shannon @ What's Up Whimsy
    July 29, 2010 at 3:11 pm

I would use outdoor fabric just to be safe! I have seen some really nice designs at Designer Fabrics!

mia
    July 29, 2010 at 3:17 pm

I did this at my last house to block off the view of the apartment building next door. I just used some basic white flowy curtains from World Market & a tension rod. I've also used IKEA's basic white flat sheets ($1.99) for when I need longer white curtains that block the view but still let light filter through.

I think you can use pretty much anything that can be thrown in a washing machine. Just make sure it's easy to remove them. Another suggestion would be to weigh down the bottom of the curtains so that they aren't always blowing into your face while you're trying to relax. πŸ™‚

Neeson Family
    July 29, 2010 at 4:02 pm

dropcloths……….cheap and no sew and sorta look like linen

Mrs. Chic
    July 29, 2010 at 4:20 pm

I would use outdoor fabric or maybe use indoor fabric and spray it with some type of waterproofing so they can be sued outdoors. You have a great porch for drapes.

Brittney
    July 29, 2010 at 5:00 pm

Have you thought about using a paint drop cloth from Home Depot? I've seen ton of ladies using them as curtains in their homes. I think it would work for the porch!

Design Love
    July 29, 2010 at 5:24 pm

I think it would look really nice. I would use outdoor fabric or at least something you can get rid of after a season.The rain would make it mold otherwise! I like the idea of the dropcloths, never heard of that before!

Cindy

July 29, 2010 at 5:35 pm

Home Sense has some outdoor curtain panels for around $30. I've seen them near the pillows and outdoor cushions.
    Amy

July 29, 2010 at 6:39 pm

How about Sunbrella fabric, I've even seen it on sale at Joanne's.

Heather
    July 29, 2010 at 7:33 pm

You could do outdoor fabric. Durable and pretty.

Lisa
    July 29, 2010 at 7:44 pm

Instead of a curtain, why not make a framed lattice panel that you could hang from the ceiling and anchor with hooks and eyes (or something) to the floor. You could paint it with the same stain you used for the chairs.

I love what you did in the back yard.

RJ @ A Life Designed
    July 29, 2010 at 7:59 pm

Oh I love the look of porch drapes… I wish I had a porch! I'd guess it depends on how often you want to have to wash them whether you go with indoor or outdoor fabric. Have you seen the posts around blogland of people using the poles from chain link fence as curtain rods… cheap and very durable in Canadian winters!

Katie Company
    July 29, 2010 at 8:19 pm

I have been wondering the same thing! I have a similar situation with my porch and I think I am going to try some sheer washable fabric from Hancock’s. I also had just thought about stapling them (I like instant gratification) but now think I might need another option.

Alabama spring and summers will have my beautiful crisp white curtains COVERED in pollen with in 5 min of me hanging them up…

lealou
    July 29, 2010 at 10:43 pm

I have seen people using regular curtains but I have to agree they most of them have seen better days… unless you're committed to washing them often they might get dingy. But I do like the looks πŸ˜‰

thanks for the porch shots — I've been looking at ours trying to figure out what else to put on ours since it's so big — it just seems bare.

[email protected]
    July 29, 2010 at 11:47 pm

Love the idea…but with a baby, my first thought would be to put up a safer rail so that when the baby is walking/crawling, he will not fall off the side of the porch πŸ™ Drapes are beautiful,though!

July 30, 2010 at 12:25 am

I vote for painter's drop cloths. I saw them used on a very expensive home in Canadian House and Home magazine.

Tammy
    July 30, 2010 at 1:14 am

How about canvas? You could easily use the painter's drop cloth canvas that can be purchased @ Home Depot or Lowes.

Melissa at HOUSEography.net
    July 30, 2010 at 2:19 am

I did curtains on my porch a few months ago because I didn't want to see my neighbor's trash cans, and have more of a feeling of privacy while we eat dinner. I used Ikea panels and it worked great. Here's the link on my blog – http://houseography.blogspot.com/2010/06/its-curtains.html

thehomeslice
    July 30, 2010 at 3:19 am

I've seen a few people in our neighbourhood use panels from ikea – they are great because they let in the light and move in the wind!! Emilija

July 30, 2010 at 6:03 am

If you don't use outdoor fabric you should use a synthetic as they will not mold like cotton, linen and such and they will also dry faster if they do catch some rain on them.

Flourishing Networks
    July 30, 2010 at 12:52 pm

i showed my hubby your photos as he wants to make those chairs on the 1st photo….so thanks he wants photos at different angels to get the right look …great shot cheers

[email protected] at Home
    July 30, 2010 at 7:17 pm

Ikea would be perfect if you want that light, linen, blow in the wind look.

Drop clothes would work also and they would be heavy enough that they wouldn't blow around in a light breeze.

Jana
    July 30, 2010 at 11:55 pm

We've had porch drapery for some time now and we just love them. It makes it all feel so cozy and I love to see them blowing in the wind. We bought ours at ikea-they are a heavy twill because we get direct sun in the evenings. Enjoy!
    jana

Styledish
    August 1, 2010 at 9:12 pm

I have a large porch like you and have tried a couple of different options for privacy. I purchased bamboo blinds at Bouclair for the sides and they let in just the right amount of light but I also purchased outdoor drapes from Fabricland and used plumbing hardware as curtain rods!!! Super cheap and durable and noone is the wiser but me!!