Little Antique Shop

I just got in from a weekend trip to the cottage and on the drive home we stopped in at my favourite little shop, a little Antique barn in Argyle, Ontario. I don’t buy a lot at the shop, it’s just a tradition to pull over and see what treasures they have. The best thing about shops like this out of the city is that the prices are usually awesome because the stores aren’t paying the high price of rent in downtown Toronto.

Last summer, at the bakery across the street from the antique barn, I stood behind Suzanne Dimma, who cottages around there as well. I felt like such a nerd, I wanted to say hello, but in the end I chose not to as I concluded that she was in weekend mode, on the way to the cottage, and I wanted to respect her privacy. So who knows, maybe some of the treasures you see in House & Home Magazine are from this antique shop.

Here are some shots from today.

Argyle 2

Argyle 5
$15 – love it. I should have bought it, I love it when little kid rooms have globes.

Argyle 4
I always wanted a real cash register as a kid.

Argyle 3
Love sparkly things.

Argyle 1
I lopve furniture like this, I think you could really make it look modern and trendy with the right reupholstery or toss cushions. The set was somewhat expensive (more pieces than what was shown)

Argyle Antiques
Corner of Glenarm & Hwy 46
705-439-1021 (Open weekends only, or by chance as they business card says)

Shannon @ What's Up Whimsy
    July 5, 2010 at 1:25 am

No way!! I have driven past this barn many times on my way to my friend's cottage and have wanted to stop, but haven't. I am definitely going in next time!! What great finds!

eyeseepretty
    July 5, 2010 at 2:56 am

The small towns always have the best antique places. The places in the city are definitely picked over. I have had better luck lately at the thrift stores!

unitb612
    July 5, 2010 at 3:04 pm

Hi Lindsay, if you like this place, you should definitely check out vineland and jordan, ontario! My favourite spot is prudhommes antique (think 4 or 5 floors- basement and attic included of antiques and more outside on the property). Take a look at some of the items they have here:

Things outside of the city are definitely better priced. I've seen the exact same items sell for a third of the price outside of Toronto!

By the way, I've been quietly following your blog for some time now and really enjoy seeing a fellow Torontonian post on DIYs and fixing up/decorating a house. Particularly so since my husband and I wish to own a house in the new future. One as charming as yours!

saf affect
    July 5, 2010 at 9:13 pm

Thanks for sharing this – I am heading to a cottage in Haliburton in a couple of weeks; will definitely stop by.

I had some good luck thrifting in Ajax this weekend… http://safaffect.wordpress.com/2010/07/05/thrifty-in-ajax/

Grace @ Sense and Simplicity
    July 7, 2010 at 12:59 pm

If we go the backroads to the cottage we often go through Argyle but have never stopped at the antique store, so thanks so much for drawing it to my attention. It is now on my radar.

MB
    July 8, 2010 at 3:48 pm

I used to love discovering a new antique/junk shop when I lived in North America. There are so many treasures to be found. I too love globes in childrens rooms, there is something really fun and timeless about them.

saf affect
    July 19, 2010 at 1:28 am

Stopped by here today on my way back from cottaging in Haliburton this weekend, after reading about this shop in your post. Lots of great finds, nothing for me today. The globes are still there though!

Speaking of great finds – discovered Grr8 Finds Markets in Fenelon Falls today as well. Again, no purchases but definitely a fun shop to poke around in. http://bit.ly/afDxdI

Shannon @ What's Up Whimsy
    August 4, 2010 at 8:33 pm

I finally went to this barn…and it was amazing!! I wanted this gorgeous console table, but, alas, it was a little bit more money than I was willing to pay. I am definitely going back for more next time I'm up at the cottage! Thanks again for reminding me about it!