In Garden

Domino effect…

So when I stained the Bear chairs, we thought “Hey, lets stain/paint the front stairs”. They were showing wear & tear and I was already in my grubby clothes, and we loved Inuckshuck as a colour (vey neutral, and no pink undertones)

house5
(Above, the stairs)

Well, this then balooned into me repainting/staining the whole front of the deck (The deck itself is carpet, but the front of the deck is wood)

It wasn’t the best idea for me to do this after spending a few hours doing the chairs. I got frustrated, my hair fell into the bucket of paint, got it all over myself, I was dripping with sweat (it’s hot in Toronto) and I ended up getting gumpy, stormed inside, claimed I hated what I had done and vowed never to lift a paint brush again. Aubrey ended up taking the paint brush from me and finished the deck to salvage the deck, my sanity, and what was left of a perfectly pleasant afternoon. (Hey, we’re all allowed freakouts) I now like it. 馃槈

Below is the before – the deck is a neutral tone but with a definite pink undertone to it. (And for the record, I really dislike pink undertones in paint)

house1
(Before)

And below, is after.

house2

A nice improvement. However, the improvements made our super-ugly yellow windows stand out that muh more and therefore inspired talk of the front of our house improvements. Here are some of the things we’d love to improve upon when it comes to the front of our house. Now, keep in mind, we’re not necessarily doing the improvements, but it’s always fun to design.

house8

The list is not out of this world, but each improvement costs money so it will all have to be done in stages, if we do any at all. It’s hard to know where to put the funds – (ok, what funds? Let’s be honest – we just had a baby) Really, I’d love, love to do our windows.

[email protected]
    July 20, 2010 at 3:58 pm

See, there are other people out there who are realistic about curb appeal – most of us have to do in stages, as we can afford it (unlike the TV shows that they do everything at once)! I'm from So. Cal. where we don't have a lot of semi-detached houses, so it's neat to see your pictures! I DO understand the heat…it's hot here, too! You're doing a great job!

Cozy.Cottage.Cute.
    July 20, 2010 at 4:34 pm

I think the paint on the deck freshens it up quite a bit.

My curb appeal wishlist is looooooong, too. Shutters, window boxes, new siding, stone walkway, etc.etc.etc.

If it makes you feel better I woke up early this morning to start one of my projects, was shaking the paint can in the house (not smart) and the lid came off halfway spraying paint all over the window, wall, chair, and hardwood floors. Sigh. Not a good start to the day!

馃檪
    Sarah

Grace @ Sense and Simplicity
    July 20, 2010 at 5:26 pm

What about painting the window trim with the Inukshuk until you can afford to replace the windows in a year or so. At least you couldn't complain about the yellow any more 馃槈

Lisa
    July 20, 2010 at 6:40 pm

OR…another idea, painting the porch window with black like your front door. It wouldn't take very much paint. What's under the carpet? Did you ever peek? If it's concrete, that can be stained. I think.

[email protected] at Home
    July 20, 2010 at 10:15 pm

The porch looks lovely and fresh with the new paint. Sit on your new bear chairs and enjoy!

July 21, 2010 at 1:22 am

We had the exact colour windows at our last place and we painted them! It was tedious but looked fantastic until we had the budget to replace them. Good prep-work and the right paint could make a big impact….if you are up to it 馃檪

July 21, 2010 at 1:42 am

i agree with the earlier post, the porch and second floor windows would look amazing in black. you did a great job with the porch. renovating a home is hard work and takes time and money, we have been renovating our house for five years and i keep finding things we need to do. keep up the great work! you are an inspiration to us all.

Jenny
    July 21, 2010 at 2:46 pm

I'm shaking my head at the carpet. Someone must have been drunk when they decided to carpet a deck. Have you checked what's under it?
    As for the windows, if you still have paint left, why not paint them for now? I'm sure it would make a big difference!

Heather
    July 21, 2010 at 7:23 pm

I feel your pain. I'm in an apartment and someone put carpet in the ENTIRE place. Even the kitchen and bathroom. Who puts carpet in kitchens let alone bathrooms! It's so hard to keep clean and dry.

I agree with painting the window trim black. It would look great 馃檪

Amanda @ 24 Maple Lane
    July 22, 2010 at 12:45 am

Very subtle change but it makes a huge difference! It looks great. I know what you mean about pink undertones, I hate that too! It feels so 80s

July 23, 2010 at 2:04 pm

what's under the carpet?

Suggestion: One easy way to change up the walk to the door is paint. We used spray paint on our back patio (changed yellowish beige to terracotta). Highly recommend it.

cassie @ hi sugarplum!
    July 23, 2010 at 7:20 pm

That is a big improvement already! Couldn't you just paint the trim of the windows? I know ideally you'd like to replace them, but paint would certainly get you through for awhile…bc that baby isn't going to get any cheaper! 馃檨

Lovely Little Nest
    July 24, 2010 at 5:37 pm

Oooh perhaps the timing wasn't good, but the painting itself certainly was! Your deck looks fabulous! 馃檪

Sue at Beach Bungalow
    July 24, 2010 at 9:15 pm

Hi! I just found your blog and I love it! We are renovating an old house too but have only done the outside so far. Check us out at Beach Bungalow.

Love what you've done. The master bedroom is my favourite!

Sue

Lindsey
    July 26, 2010 at 4:54 am

The front is looking much better! I totally agree that black would look fabulous for the windows (they would be more cohesive with the black door). I would rip out that deck carpet and paint it a bold color to really pop (and hide dirt)… red, maybe? As for the checker-board walkway, we have painted ours with a wood stain and it took in one coat and looked great, so that could be a really quick (and cheap) fix! :o)