10 Minute Chair Makeover

Our kitchen chairs got the 10 minute makeover while Oscar slept the other day. Armed with my staple gun, scissors, and most importantly, some time (lacking that important element these days) I got this project done. 🙂

The chairs as they came with the table….

chairs

Reupholstered in the leftover Sunbrella fabric, matching the bench…

009

This was SUPER easy to do but resulted in me being able to actually stand looking at the chairs. (They were an eyesore to me before)

It was also a great use of the fabric that was leftover from the project for the bench. (Another great reason to buy a little extra fabric when doing projects – especially when the fabric is being shipped internationally)

The chairs aren’t my favourite chairs, but we’re not in a possition to buy new chairs (and I’m not sure which ones I would go for, but these seagrass chairs are my love right now) so this was a free, and easy fix to cover up the granny fabric that was there before.

UPDATE: Thank you for all the comments! Some of you have suggested painting the chairs. The reason why I haven’t painted the chairs is to keep the integrity of the set, as it’s quite a nice piece, and one day, should we go to sell it, I want to make sure everything is still in it’s original condition. Hope that explains why I haven’t thrown buckets of paint at this table & chair set! 😉

June 17, 2010 at 6:47 pm

Not sure where you will be feeding Oscar solids in the future, but…..I have a one year old and there is no way that the seagrass chairs would survive in our house!

Gintare
    June 17, 2010 at 6:48 pm

Oh I like this! Quick and easy! It looks very nice now. I also like the chairs from Pottery Barn.
    Good Job!

June 17, 2010 at 6:50 pm

Anonymous – Oh my, hadn't thought that far in advance! Ack. Should really now consider the fact that Oscar is part of the design equasion now shouldn't I! 😉

Gintare – Thank you! 🙂

christine
    June 17, 2010 at 7:01 pm

I love this little nook, everything about it – the colour palette, the light and the new chairs. Great work 🙂

cassie @ hi sugarplum!
    June 17, 2010 at 7:22 pm

Looks great….such a soothing color combo. What about painting the chairs a tone similar to the green pillows?

[email protected] at Home
    June 17, 2010 at 7:36 pm

Great quick update. I love the bench seating/pillows.

Mammamusing
    June 17, 2010 at 9:04 pm

Don't worry to much about feeding time. My furniture has survived (so far!) my 17 month old. She eats her food in a highchair so the mess is contained 🙂

[email protected]
    June 17, 2010 at 9:38 pm

I was thinking the same thing about the baby…having chairs with upholstery can get tricky, but if you cover them while feeding the baby (with a towel or a clear cover) or even Scotch guard on them – that may help!

Lovely Little Nest
    June 18, 2010 at 1:22 am

Oh my goodness, the fabric makes them look like completely different chairs! So beautiful! Great transformation 🙂

sarah, flourish design + style
    June 18, 2010 at 2:33 am

Looks great! I remember very well how hard it was to get the little stuff done with a new babe.. it looks gorgeous!! xx

Sunbrella
    June 18, 2010 at 12:41 pm

You've done a fabulous job!

— The Sunbrella Team

thehomeslice
    June 18, 2010 at 3:40 pm

Lindsay the chairs look great! I've done a similar reupholstering project and who knew it could be so simple! Really enjoy your blog – Emilija

June 18, 2010 at 4:09 pm

I have a 19-month-old and am considering doing a similar project (the bench seat) with the Sunbrella fabric. Isn't it a good fabric choice if you have little ones? I thought that it was wipeable if you get whatever drops on it right away, thereby avoiding a stain? No?

June 19, 2010 at 12:12 am

Lovely little nook. You might want to reconsider the seagrass though…I'm a mother of three and I just thought I'd mention those chairs are crumb traps (you should see what I vaccuum up — eew)

Maggie Rose
    June 19, 2010 at 5:09 pm

The chairs look great! So much better than before! And from a totally non-child standpoint, I usually find the woven-type seats to be kind of uncomfortable! But they would look good in your little nook there.

The new pillows are perfect, btw. Don't think I ever got a chance to comment on that post!

June 27, 2010 at 3:55 am

If the chairs aren't your favorite, I suggest painting them. I think a little paint could make a huge difference. Btw, I love your blog!