In My House

Kitchen Bench, Sewing Complete

If you’ve been following our little blog, you will recall the storyline with our Kitchen Bench. I’ll save you the boring details, but this project goes back 6 months to November 2009 when we decided to do a eat in bench, made out of Ikea cabinets. Loved the bench – Disliked the original fabric I did for the cushion (Post here).

So I’m ready to show you our *new* bench cushion.

bench_1

Ta-da! Love it. Adore it. It’s PERFECT.

cushion_detail

Piping in the same fabric

cushion_detail_2

There is a zipper along the back that allows me to take the cover on, and off.

After picking the *new* fabric (Dune, by Sunbrella, found at OutdoorFabrics.com) I brought the 8 foot long bench cushion to a Toronto store called MacFab. I had found out that the store had seamstress(es) on staff when I went in one day, looking for fabric for this bench. Although I didn’t get my fabric from MacFab, I ended up bringing them the cushion to sew. I am REALLY happy with the quality of work they did and they did it within 9 working days.

For the record, Mom did offer, generously, to resew me a cushion cover, but she confessed she wasn’t too comfortable with an 8 foot long zipper. When I thought about it, I really wanted a zipper for this cover as having the ability to take off the cover to wash it (sticky little fingers are in our future) would be well worth it.

Next up is adding some colour in some throw cushions. 🙂

[email protected]
    May 17, 2010 at 2:17 pm

Love it!! The zipper is a great idea (and I'm sure will come in handy when you have a toddler on your hands!)

May 17, 2010 at 2:20 pm

Love, love, love the bench! I'm obsessed with doing something similar in our dining area. Initially I had wanted to take out our window and replace it with garden doors to our back yard, but that is not likely to ever happen, so am thinking now of a bench like yours. Thanks for the inspiration! From where did you buy your table?

Pine Tree Home
    May 17, 2010 at 2:53 pm

oooh, looks so nice. Very finished and I love the simplicity of it.

May 17, 2010 at 2:58 pm

Thank you!! 🙂 I adore it, and can't wait to add in some colour via cushions shortly!

Anonymous, the kitchen table we bought when we first got married from an antique furniture store here in Toronto, which has since closed down. It actually has a pop up leaf that comes up when you pull the two sides, so it's nice if you're having extra company.

That being said, I'm not sure I would have bought the same style (teak) if I was in the market for a kitchen table today, but it works, and a new table isn't in the budget at all! 🙂 We may try to mix it up with some different chairs in the future, but that is a LONG way away. 😉

Kerry
    May 17, 2010 at 3:09 pm

Looks great Lindsay! Definitely a good thing you opted for the zipper with all the messes that are to come with a little one! 🙂

[email protected]:podge
    May 17, 2010 at 4:39 pm

The bench cushion looks fantastic. The outdoor fabric will make for ease of cleaning or less apt to stain {especially with a little one on that way}
    Can't wait to see what throw pillows you will add.

As for your table, you can stain teak -it needs to be a solid teak, if it is teak veneer then it doesn't take stain well. I learned that the hard way. But Benjamin Moore came to the rescue and I painted my vintage teak coffee table with a great oil opaque stain, the wood grain shows and it looks rich and dark.
    Just an idea!

Shannon @ What's Up Whimsy
    May 17, 2010 at 5:11 pm

Good to know about MacFab. I love that fabric store and the fact that they have a good seamstress on hand makes me love it even more! It looks great!

Tia Brumbelow
    May 17, 2010 at 6:35 pm

Hi! I just started following your blog and I love it! My husband and I are looking for our first home and we really would love a home we can put our own staple on. Thanks for sharing your ideas and your home, it looks wonderful! Love the bench by the way =)

L. Collins
    May 18, 2010 at 5:26 am

This is absolutely beautiful! I can't wait to see it with the colorful cushions!! xoxo

Sunbrella
    May 18, 2010 at 12:54 pm

Nice job and we agree that the zipper was a good decision.

— the Sunbrella team

[email protected] at Home
    May 18, 2010 at 2:45 pm

Perfect.

Nice to get what you really want.

May 19, 2010 at 9:58 pm

Thanks for telling people about our store and sewing services…..Dale @ macFAB. 755 Queen Street East. 416 922 6000