Kitchen Bench Fabric chosen….

After much deliberation, I chose the fabric for our kitchen bench. It was quite comedic really. I had dozens of samples of neutral linen tones all on the table. I was scared of making the wrong decision. The fact that they were all VERY similar in tone made it a bit ridiculous that I had so much trouble, but I really did not want a repeat of my first blunder. In the end, I finally just went with my gut.

Armed with multiple samples from OutdoorFabrics.com, I went with an unlikely selection from my initial picking, going with a fabric style called Dune, by Sunbrella. Online, it looked very dark, but once in our house, I really loved the look.

dune1

We figured we needed 6 yards to do the bench but I ordered 8, just to be safe. And today, my huge bolt of fabric arrived via UPS. Along with a lovely $62.00 import charge. Aubrey was not too pleased when the delivery man asked for his credit card, as this brought the fabric yard cost (when you add it all together, including shipping) to be around the $30 mark. Oops. That was not the plan at all. I was really trying to stay well, well below that. The saving grace is, is that the fabric looks amazing. When I laid out the fabric on the bench, I was really happy that Aubreys first words were….”It looks perfect.” (Sigh of relief)

dune
(Ok, time to change the tulips on the table!)

Above is how it looks on the bench. I know, it looks kind of plain, but it’s perfect to me. 🙂 My next step is to add some pretty colourful cushions, which I *may* leave off my to-do list until after baby.

Now that we have the fabric, it’s time to actually make the cushion.

Mom offered as you know, to “remake” the cushion for me, but she’s not too fond of dealing with zippers, especially when it’s an 8 foot long cushion. So I’m bringing the bench cushion, and fabric, to MacFab here in Toronto, as their quote for sewing, with piping and a zipper, is $125 which I felt was very reasonable. It’s worth it in my mind to have the luxury of taking off the cover, to be able to pop it into the wash (which I’m able to do with Sunbrella!)

So, the long wait on the fabric is over! 🙂

Pine Tree Home
    May 4, 2010 at 1:59 am

Can't wait to see if you like the Sunbrella fabric. I always wondered if it was the royals royce as I hear.

Sunbrella
    May 4, 2010 at 12:28 pm

We're glad you finally found a Sunbrella fabric to suit your kitchen. We hope it brings you many, many days of happiness.

One thing we wanted to point out to others is something you mentioned in this post; about the fabric looking very dark online. While users can browse fabric images online, the final choice should be made using actual samples. There are so many variables that come into play when viewing online images — monitor type, video card, etc. — that expecting what you see on the monitor to exactly match the fabric is asking too much. Obtaining samples may delay a decision, but it might save some frustration in the end.

Sarah La Rose
    May 4, 2010 at 2:34 pm

Love the fabric. It's the perfect base and since it's outdooor fabric I bet it will be easy to clean stains. 🙂 Enjoy it.

May 4, 2010 at 5:32 pm

Hi, I've just discovered your blog (there was a link to your IKEA Rast side tables from Alexandra Bryn) and I love it! I don't have time to red it all today, which I would love to do, but for now, I am so happy that I found you for several reasons:

First, your Rast tables. I have been eying them for a while, but my husband was not convinced, I hope I will convince him now showing your pictures. I actually like your version more than Bryn's.

Second, I love that it is a Canadian blog, since I live in Calgary. It's not about Canadian pride, but rather the fact that your room sizes seems similar to mine. I follow quite a few blogs from US but their houses and backyards are so much bigger, they have so much more space to work with, that most of what I like is not feasible in our 880 SF house and less than 3000 SF lot.

Third, I have a similar shed in my backyard (plus the door) and I think a paint job will be on my to do list for this summer!

Forth, I am still thinking about some king of book shelves for our living room, so I am looking forward to what you will come up with!

I think I will be a faithful reader.

Daria

Jacci
    May 5, 2010 at 8:35 pm

Hey, girl 🙂

You've probably heard already, but just in case – you're side table is featured on Apartment Therapy today 🙂 I think it's safe to say the web liked your hack.

~Jacci

Jacci
    May 5, 2010 at 8:36 pm

oops – typo – I meant "your side tables" 🙂

May 5, 2010 at 9:32 pm

Just found your site via Apartment Therapy. Love your site and look forward to following your house progress.

Maggie Rose
    May 6, 2010 at 9:39 pm

Are you doing any kind of contrast piping on the edges, or just the "dune"? It will look beautiful. Can't believe how outrageous it is to ship over the border!

Thinking of making a smaller bench (not built in though) for our dining area. Good to know how much the cushion might run!