Front Landscaping, little additions

We added some ferns to the front porch. They are sooooo fluffy. We happened to be driving by a nursery outside of the city a few weeks ago and I spotted these huge fluff balls as we drove on by. I think I yelled “Turn around! Turn Around! FERNS!” And Aubrey obliged and turned the car around on the country road and we went back and picked up two. 🙂

Now, to make me sound a little less nuts, we HAD been looking for ferns, so me screaming “FERNS!” out loud wasn’t that shocking to Aubrey.

ferns

Last Fall I planted 3 big huge honking Allium bulbs* and look what has emerged! I was a little worried that animals may have stolen the big yummy bulbs, but I am pleased to see that they did not feast on these.

013

Since we moved into the house, I spotted a lot of houses in our neighbourhood with

Alliums

*. I really loved the modern look of these beautiful flowers, so last Fall I was sure to pick up some bulbs.

It will be a quiet weekend here…Aubrey is working and I have found myself sleeping alot maybe due to heat, but more likely because of baby. Maybe a combination of the two. But I thought for a quiet weekend, a garden post seemed appropriate. 🙂

Happy

Victoria Day Weekend

to my fellow Canadians. 🙂 xo Lindsay

————-

For the record, I usually call these flowers Onion Balls because I can never, for the life of me, pronounce Alliums, or recall the name. But if you say to a nursery “Onion Balls”, although they may look at you funny, they tend to know what you mean! 😉

Elizabeth (blue clear sky)
    May 23, 2010 at 1:13 am

The ferns are a very nice addition to your entry. I really like the contrast of your brick wall with the wood wall. Enjoy your Victoria Day Weekend! We are celebrating with some gardening (organizing indoors today due to rain), and a family barbeque for 30 on Monday.

Kay*
    May 23, 2010 at 1:44 am

oh i love how full and lush those ferns are – fantastic! and those alliums? fab! never knew what they were called and now i want some…can't wait until i'm a homeowner….with a little fixer upper…ahhhh a girl can dream, can't she? 🙂

caroline
    May 23, 2010 at 2:01 am

Happy Victoria Day!
    I love alliums – they have the most fantastic shape. You can dry them and then display them through the winter. As you can imagine, with their shape they make a really striking, sculptural arrangement. My aunt in England dries them and then spraypaints some in subtle metallics. They look fantastic on the Christmas tree.
    Happy sleepy long weekend!

[email protected] happy
    May 23, 2010 at 2:14 am

Love the ferns and having fun poking around your wonderful blog!

Pine Tree Home
    May 23, 2010 at 2:18 am

I just saw these flowers at Home Depot. Hubs and I grabbed one, but then put it back…fear of the unknown. Does it spew seeds everywhere?

Fran
    May 23, 2010 at 10:32 am

Love the ferns…they're so luscious! And, thanks for the introduction to the Alliums…..they look great!

Sarah La Rose
    May 23, 2010 at 1:27 pm

Your front porch looks great! A quite weekend is the perfect time to think about gardening. I can't wait to do some in my new place. Enjoy the weekend!

Happy Victoria Day! Yeah!!

D
    May 24, 2010 at 12:06 am

I love ferns too and had been looking all over for them until I found them at Home Depot a few weeks ago. Where did you find those planters? I've been looking all over for some modern square ones? thanks.

May 24, 2010 at 3:09 pm

Thanks for the lovely comments!

D – The planters are from Zellers, but they were from 2 years ago unfortunately. But check them out because they were quite affordable!

Shannon @ What's Up Whimsy
    May 25, 2010 at 1:05 am

Happy Holiday Monday to you too! The Alliums are gorgeous!! They are going in my gardening file!

Naomi Alice
    June 10, 2010 at 9:41 pm

oooh thank you I was looking for the name of this flower, Alliums, beautiful!! We just got some for my dad's funeral and we couldn't believe how beautiful this flower is. First time I see it and lOVE it!