Sunbrella Searching

Since I last posted about the hunt for our kitchen bench fabric, I’ve had some really nice correspondences with the people from Sunbrella. They actually took the time to send me an e-mail, offering to help in our search after they saw our blog post. Umm….how nice is that – They just got a loyal customer for life on this end of the computer.

I’ve waited until we had figured somethings out before posting an update as I know that some people are also interested in finding out the answers to what we’ve been researching.

First of all, my highly anticipated Restoration Hardware samples came in the mail yesterday. And again, they didn’t disappoint. I loved them in-store, and I love them in my house. The Natural one (below) is much too light, but I adore the classic Linen. Surprise, surprise, I love Linen over here.

003
If you want to fall in love, go into Restoration Hardware to see their outdoor line!

So, I do love that fabric still. But, it may be all a mute point. Although they are branded as Sunbrella fabric, we’re likely not going to actually find that fabric in any store. Read on.

There have been 2 issues that Sunbrella and I have been working on together.
Number 1- Finding that Restoration Hardware Linen Fabric and
Number 2 – Finding a place in Canada, or specifically Toronto that sells it.

006
Restoration Hardwares Outdoor Line advertises that it is Sunbrella Fabric, but it turns out it’s “Exclusive” to Restoration Hardware. Buggers.

So here are the answers.

The Restoration Fabric – is exclusive to Restoration Hardware. *sigh* Ok, so that’s out the window. But I still have that sample above, and can bring it with me to stores to try to match the texture & weight.

Finding a store in Toronto, or even a Canadian online retailer has proven to be difficult. Some amazing readers of our blog have offered to buy the fabric for us from one of the stores in the US (oh my goodness, you are so awesome!) But my concern is that fabrics can very much vary from what you see online, to what they look like in your house. Like paint. So I’m someone that needs to order samples. (If they don’t ship fabric to us in Canada, they aren’t going to ship me a sample.)

However, knowing this dilemma, Sunbrella pointed me in the direction of OutdoorFabrics.com.
Sunbrella mentioned that they ship to Canada. You can even order samples from their site, which satisfies my anxiety over here. So, we’re getting a little warmer.

sunbrella

Looking online, these are the ones that at first glance seem to match my love of Linen. I swear, I didn’t look at the names at first, 90% of them just “happen” to have Linen in the names. Again, go figure. But you can see how they vary very much from sample, to sample.

So, what’s the outcome of all of this?

I’m still hunting, but at least I have some samples of fabrics I love that I can bring with me to stores to try to match. I may even order some samples from OutdoorFabrics.com.

On a very positive note, Sunbrella has gone out of their way to help me in this search, responding to my e-mails within hours, which makes me want to find their brand of fabric that much more.

Mrs. Chic
    April 13, 2010 at 8:10 pm

1st thats so COOL they contacted you to help with your search. I really like the 'Canvas Linen' and 'Taupe Linen' I hope your fabric hunting goes good….

priscilla
    April 13, 2010 at 9:27 pm

Joanne's, the crafty store has really good sales and closeouts on Sunbrella.

April 13, 2010 at 9:32 pm

Mrs. Chic – I know! Isn't that fabulous!

Priscilla – I keep hearing about Joannes, but unfortunately they dont ship to us in Canada. So it's out of the question as we would like to order samples prior to ordering, so we're limited now only to Canada.

Angela
    April 14, 2010 at 2:30 pm

That's really nice that they're being so accommodating.

I love your original choice of Linen from Restoration Hardware – it's a gorgeous swatch. The Spectrum Mushroom swatch looks to be a close match – on screen, anyhow!

Good luck in the hunt. 🙂

Maggie Rose (Magchunk)
    April 14, 2010 at 4:15 pm

What determination! If you need another US helper, I'd be willing to order swatches and send them to you too. Let us know how we can help! I think we're all excited to see that bench how you envision it!

Angie
    April 15, 2010 at 5:02 pm

Have you tried Pottery Barn? They have a Sunbrella fabric by the yard option, and swatches are available. Might be worth a look.

April 18, 2010 at 11:49 pm

MacFab, which used to be on Queen St. W and will be or has moved to Queen St. E carries Sunbrella fabric or can at least order it in. They had a binder with their fabrics in it the last time I was there.

April 28, 2010 at 10:26 pm

Salco Furniture in Markham Shields Crt. I think. they do Sunbrella cushions and custom fabrics.

I purchased custom outdoor cushions last year and hey did a great job.

Charlie

laura
    June 21, 2010 at 5:43 pm

I came across your blog posting while actually trying to find Restoration Hardware's Sunbrella Twill Mocha fabric. As for the linen, Sunbrella has a High Point Collection line and have a fabric called Arbor Pebble that I think is VERY similar to the RH's linen. I hope that helps! I know how exhausting this search can be!

August 25, 2010 at 5:01 pm

Have you found a similar fabric to purchase? I stumbled across your blog as I search for the Sunbrella Linen #48009-0000. DH and I purchased outdoor furniture from RH with this fabric. It is beautiful! Now I would like to make a slip cover for another sofa that sees lots of dog and kitty time. I have been searching the web over trying to find it or something comparable (without spending a fortune on 40 yds of fabric). Thanks for any additional info you can share.

September 7, 2010 at 8:32 pm

I am looking for Sunbrella in grey Twill which is used on Restoration Hardware furniture. Do you have a suggestion?