Proposed Garden Project, Privacy Screens

We’ve done a lot to the garden since buying the house. Below is what it kind of looked like when we bought.

yuck

Our Garden, April 2008

The first summer we did a lot of maintenance on the lawn, seeing, weeding, adding flower beds. It was a fun project for me, having never had my own garden. The nice thing with gardening is that with a little love, you see a lot of results.

Our second Summer here (Last summer) we did some

major

wood projects in our garden. This is when Aubrey joined the mission to beautiful the backyard. To recap here’s what we did last summer.

PROJECT # 1 – Privacy Screen

Blog_deck_3

Aubrey built a privacy screen on our deck. Before we put this up, whenever we were on our porch, we felt like we were staring down at neighbours, and it became ackward. You feel like you should wave and say hi if they are outside. Maybe hold a conversation. But sometimes you just want to go out in your grubby-yucky work clothes from the garden and not be seen. So this helped. 🙂

We bought an awesome couch for the deck in an unfortunate colour at the time, but it has since started to grow on me. (Plans are to likely recover this couch in my fav Sunbrella Linen fabric that I’m swooning over)

PROJECT #2 – Work with what you’ve got – Fixing the shed

I made it my mission to work with the shed that we had. Missing doors? No problem. Rusted and mint green? Easy as pie. 🙂

shed

Post on he project here

PROJECT # 3 – South Fence & Back Gate

garden_longview

The biggest project of the summer is we took on the task of installing a fence on the South Side of our Garden, as well as a back gate that goes into our Laneway parking. It’s awesome. We love the privacy. It took some land surveys, some lovely road bumps, but it got up.

Which brings us to likely the only project for Summer 2010.

Design wise, our backyard is now a “lop sided”. Lots of wood on one side. Nothing on the other. All the greenery you see on this side is all from us planting, trying to hide the ugly chain link fence. It’s not working so well.

When we casually brought up with the neighbour the concept of a wood fence between our properties she didn’t like the idea, as the fence would cast shade on her lawn. No biggie. We really like her, and she’s a great neighbour, so we’re not persuing it at all.

But privacy would still be nice, hiding that chain link fence, and also, to even out both sides of the garden design wise. So the idea is to build three

privacy screens

and install them evenly in the garden.

011

Mock up of three privacy screens.

Benefits to this plan:

(1) Visually, they would add weight to the other side of the lawn.

(2) They would visually create “some” privacy.

(3) They would also allow light to shine through, so our neighbour still gets light to her lawn, so we’re not going to tick her off.

That is likely the only summer project for the garden, but I’ve been SUPER excited to get it done!

(To see all garden posts click here)

Sara @ Russet Street Reno
    April 21, 2010 at 6:33 pm

What a great compromise! You have done some amazing work so far, and you are such a nice neighbor to not put up a fence anyway. Our neighbors to the back of us not only have a huge fence that blocks all the light, but a dozen 30 ft trees that leave our west side of the house in shade for all but two hours a day. Needless to say, we have practically no sun loving shrubs and plants which is really depressing. I can't wait to see your screens up!

Shannon
    April 21, 2010 at 6:35 pm

Your grass is so green – I am jealous!!!

Mrs. Chic
    April 21, 2010 at 7:05 pm

I love the screen ideas ad perfect compromise with your neighbor – I'm sire its a CA or West Coast thing, be we love our fences out here! So its always interesting to see areas where people generally dont uses fences…

Roncie Vic
    April 21, 2010 at 9:01 pm

Incredible transformation so far and i really like the screen idea.

lealou
    April 21, 2010 at 9:17 pm

As I read this we have a guy building a deck out side which will have something similar to your outdoor seating area pic — can't wait!

I think the privacy screens are a great idea.

April 22, 2010 at 12:16 am

Sara – Oh, we're being accomadating with that neighbour, but let me tell you – the other side of the garden is a whoooole other story. I've never posted about the trials and tribulations with that one, as I'm afraid there would be a lot of profanity involved in that post! 😉

Mrs. Chic – The chain link fences are pretty popular in our neck of the woods, it baffles me. What I've determined is that people think it's neoghbourly to chat with one another over the fences. I MUCH prefer having privacy. The next house, I've already determined has to have a fence, I'm not going through another "fence" project again. (See the comment above to Sara!)

Shannon – Last summer was SOOO rainy, so the grass was pretty well taken care of, that, and I reseeded the lawn a lot, and spent hours painstainkly de-weeding. I have a feeling I'll have less time with baby to keep it looking so lush!

lealou – Yipppeee for new decks!! I hope yours turns out exactly as you want it to!

Roncie Vic – Thank you so much!!

Nicole R.J.
    April 22, 2010 at 5:46 pm

Loving this post! We've got similar work ahead of us in our new house… but at least we already have wood fences.

Those privacy screens are a fab idea – I love the look of them!

Timeless Style Design
    April 23, 2010 at 1:47 am

You've accomplished a lot in a short period of time and have made quite the transformation! We have a similar sized lot with a high wood fence on one side and a chain link on the other (sound familiar). I can hardly wait to tackle our backyard (and front yard!) this summer and to see what you come up with. Thank you for sharing some inspiring photos!

[email protected] at Home
    April 23, 2010 at 2:02 pm

Oh Lindsay it looks fabulous. The lattice panels will do just what you want … add weight to that side of the yard, some privacy and still be a good neighbour. Compromises are worth it to have good relations.

Elizabeth (blue clear sky)
    April 24, 2010 at 12:43 am

Hi, stopping by from Sharon at Home blog. I'm always on the lookout for other Canadian bloggers. You have made some great improvements. It is amazing what some effort and paint did to freshen that shed. My favouite has to be the privacy screens on the fence line. If you don't mind, I am showing them to my friend. She has the same issue with a large high wood fence on one side and chain link on the other long side and back.

I became a follower, am placing your blog in my sidebar and now I'm off to check out previous posts. Take care.

April 26, 2010 at 1:56 pm

I really like those privacy screens. Did you make them yourselves or did you purchase them? If purchased, would love it if you could share where you found them 🙂

Maggie Rose
    April 26, 2010 at 4:10 pm

It's already come such a long way! I don't really understand the chain-link fence loyalists… I'd much rather have privacy too, although I understand her concern for having a shaded yard all day. Our neighbors not only have a fence that shades our yard, but the entire yard was raised and filled in so that the fence itself sits on a three foot high wall. That's why our garden beds are smack in the middle of the yard (luckily we could squish it in by the patio or it would cut off a ton of usable space). Although if we owned our house I'd be putting up fencing on the other two sides too!

Roncie Vic
    April 26, 2010 at 11:38 pm

Congratz! You guys are in the June Style at Home p36.

Jenny
    May 3, 2010 at 6:53 pm

The mock-up looks great! Not only is it a nice compromise, but I also think that a wood fence would make the yard appear smaller and might make you feel "locked in". Can't wait to see it done!

Shannon @ What's Up Whimsy
    June 11, 2010 at 3:27 pm

What a transformation!! I love everything you've done so far!! Too bad about the neighbour turning down your idea for a fence, but I really like the look of those privacy fences. It looks like something Sarah Richardson did to one of her houses. Nice work!

Anita
    January 11, 2011 at 2:14 am

Privacy screen on the deck – We're definitely doing Project #1 this summer. I have been talking about it for 2 years now and your picture really helps me envision what it will look like. I'm often afraid that neighbors think I'm anti-social, but I don't care anymore. For one, the shade really helps. We find that we don't use our lovely deck much because it's just TOO sunny. Two, our neighbors back entrance faces that area and they are always smoking out back facing us while we are entertaining.

Btw, I painted our shed too and it made all the difference. After 4 years, it's still holding up.