In My House

Nursery Additions….

Wow. Two posts in one day. Hold onto your horses people.

I’m just cleaning up the blog a bit and unfortunately in my “cleaning up” I deleted all of my links to other blogs. (Banging head on desk) So if you used to be on my blog roll and you see that you’ve dissapeared, please take no offense. It’s just the dim-wit over here that pressed “delete”. Ugh.

So, an update on the room that is getting the most attention these days. The Nursery.

We finally hung the mobile that we purchased from Pottery Barn Kids. We hung the mobile off center, so that a piece of art, or photographs could go on this wall above the day bed. I haven’t figured out exactly what will go there, but something will come to me. I sat under the mobile for a good 1/2 an hour yesterday after Aubrey hung it, and it was just calming to me. I’m looking forward to nestling into the bed with our little one and reading stories under the solar system. 😉

nursery_march

Here is an attempt at a room shot for you, giving you an idea of what we see when we walk into the bedroom.

nursery_march 2
Excuse the baby clothes that I’ve been accumulating that is sitting in the crib. We’ve taped out the size of a glider for this room. I’m still debating a glider…(more on that in an upcoming post) But for now the tape is staying there as a visual reminder to how much space one will take up.

We got a change pad to go on top of our vintage dresser we found.

nursery_march 3

You’d think I planned it that we bought a dresser that would perfectly fit a change top, but sadly, I wasn’t that organized. It was a fluke. I’m pretty confident that baby will be changed in more than this spot (floor, bed, basement) depending on where I am, so the little investment on the change pad that I bought, if it goes un-used, I’m won’t be upset.

So the only things I really have to tackle in this room are…

nursery_mock up
(ABOVE: Potential glider model we will get)

(1) Glider – do we want one? Will it be too large in this room?
(2) Ohhh, How I really, really want a Giraffe!
(3) Artwork for Walls
(4) Drapery — Hmmm…not sure about this one yet.
(5) Closet Organizational System….And lastly…
(5) Baby. We need this wee one to come out so they can make the room complete. 🙂

PS., Please don’t laugh at the Giraffe. It’s one of those nutty obsessions I have for the nursery!

Jacci
    March 25, 2010 at 10:57 pm

I read all 3 posts almost right as you posted them today. Uncanny 🙂

I **love** the mobile. It looked so big in the PB photo you shared earlier, but the actual size is so perfect. I'm really loving your blog, Lindsay. I'm stuck in the cutting/caulking/painting stage for eons and eons, so it's really fun to watch your progress. I've loved all your choices for this room. So fun!

What are your plans for the crib bedding? I noticed that wasn't on the list. I'm wondering if that orange from the mobile is going to get picked back up on the crib side of the room.

Love it all!!! 🙂

~Jacci

Jacci
    March 25, 2010 at 10:58 pm

wait – wasn't the floral going to be the skirt or something? also loving the gray with the green.

[email protected]
    March 25, 2010 at 11:32 pm

I love it so far! It is great seeing the pictures as it progresses!

westcoastmama
    March 25, 2010 at 11:35 pm

I just have to say that I love how the stripes in the pillows play on the stripes in the planets on the mobile. Sweet! Love the addition of blue that the chair would bring. Buy one. I regret not buying one because of the same reason. Wish I'd just done it. Look forward to seeing more!

Designwali
    March 25, 2010 at 11:45 pm

Fun fun fun. Your baby and you guys are going to love it. As for the giraffe..real cute, but these stuffed animal versions carry so much dust… a wall decal version might give you the fix you need? Great reads!

416fixerupper
    March 26, 2010 at 12:14 am

the giraffe is pretty awesome and when will you ever be able to justify buying a giraffe like that again? :oD go for it!

we're also missing from the blog roll:
    416fixerupper.blogspot.com

March 26, 2010 at 1:34 am

New to your blog – love it! We went for the glider with our first and if I had my time back I'd go with the arm chair. With our 2nd we got a lazy boy style arm chair and for night time feeding it was so much more comfortable. Can't wait to see more updates!

Danielle

Katie
    March 26, 2010 at 2:32 am

I love the giraffe!! Get it, get it, get it! I say no to the glider though, mostly because I never used mine.

Bethany
    March 26, 2010 at 2:38 am

Hey I'm a new reader, and I love your blog! Just thought I'd stick my two cents in there… get the glider!! It is gorgeous and looks comfy, you won't regret it… we have spent hours in ours. I'm just now moving it into our new baby's room (not born yet) and my son is two now. It has seen lots of use and will see more!!

Rambling Renovators
    March 26, 2010 at 3:38 am

The room is looking lovely. I would get the glider. Most babies love the motion of a glider – it reminds them of being in mama's womb – and really, anything that helps get the baby to sleep is something you probably want, lol.

Michelle
    March 26, 2010 at 4:44 am

It is so gorgeous! Aboslutely love the mobile.

Our son is just turning three in about a month and we have used our glider every day since he was born. Now we read books there every night and it's his wind down time before bed. When he was an infant it was so nice to rock him to sleep every night. That, and the Boppy were my favorite 'baby' things.

[email protected] at Home
    March 26, 2010 at 12:32 pm

LOVE the mobile … but miss being on your blog list :-))

Kareen
    March 26, 2010 at 1:09 pm

Looking great Lindsay!

For Artwork, I got a really beautiful Alphabet print for Max from Etsy, not sure if you have time to do one yourself, but with your crazy-talent I bet you could come up with something gorgeous.

This is the one I got, the seller was amazing to work with and it was actually my idea to put all her individual letter prints together to make one big print.

Can't wait to see the finished room!
    xo Kareen

March 26, 2010 at 5:57 pm

Thank you everyone for your sweet comments & suggestions! The room is finally coming together. 🙂

Jacci, Thank you! The mobile DID look huge didn’t it? And in the PBKids catalog there is actually a size larger than the one I bought, but it’s way more in cost and makes, for our room, too much of a statement. But I adore this size, delicate and adds some needed colour to the room.  The floral print was going to be incorporated somehow, but it may be on a cushion on a glider, if we get one. Mom was going to make me a bed skirt out of linen fabric that matches the three linen pillows on the bed. We’ll see if that happens as I fear I’ve overworked her poor sewing machine! (And her tallents) I also need to figure out crib bedding, you're right, it's missing from the list!

Designwali I hear you on the dust (I find myself dusting our house every other day) but I’m SO obsessed with that giraffe that I think I’d just suck it up and deal with it. 😉 Sometimes splurges aren’t meant to be very practicle…and this giraffe definitely fits into that. 🙂

416fixerupper & Sharon Added you back to the blog roll! Sorry about that! Technical glitches!

Kareen – Love that seller. But for artwork I think I’m going to need a 27×39 print size (around that size) for this wall, so I think I’m going to have to come up with something on my own. Maybe. Not sure yet.

With regards to the glider, I’m 90% there on it. It’s hard because I want to have a spot where I can be with our little one, feed, read etc. Some people say that I’ll end up feeding baby throughout the house, so spending $ on a glider isn’t necessary (I think they are trying to ease my mind) but I think I really just want to have a spot in the room where I can rock a little one gently to sleep. Plus, I really just love the lines of that glider that I put in the mock up. So it’s just a matter of picking the fabric from their options. 

Lovely Little Nest
    March 26, 2010 at 6:12 pm

I think a glider sounds like a really good idea. Very comfy and convenient! Where is that one from? I LOVE the color!

P.S. Be sure to enter my first GIVEAWAY! 🙂

Maudie
    March 26, 2010 at 7:16 pm

Beautiful Lindsay! How about getting your Dad over to add some of his favourtie constellations on the ceiling with glow in the dark paint? I baby-sat a little guy who had glow in the dark stars on his ceiling and we had to sing Twinkle Twinkle every night before he drifted off to sleep. It was so cute.

Shannon
    March 27, 2010 at 7:11 pm

I couldn't live without our glider. Make sure it is comfy for you when you pass out in it during night feedings!!

Scrange
    March 28, 2010 at 3:02 pm

I second all the votes for a glider … We use ours everyday (my son is two) and I regret not having spent more money on ours! Can you share which gliders you've been looking at and where this fabulous blue one is from? And you definitely need to make one of your alphabet name prints to hang in the room … we love our custom "Campbell" print and get lots of compliments on it. Good luck with your nursery decorating 🙂

Trixie
    March 29, 2010 at 8:19 pm

new to your blog and so happy to find a lovely design blog that is local. with regard to the glider, you might find that you want your feet up when/if you are breastfeeding. i think it has to do with supporting the baby and having your lap/legs raised a bit vs hunching over. you may want an ottoman or a stool so keep that in mind when planning the space. We still our glider every day for stories at bedtime and my son is almost 4.