In Renovations

Nursery Makeover, Part 1

I wish that I could make all the right decisions in decorating but alas, that would be boring now wouldn’t it? 🙂 To start of 2010, I thought I would admit my blunders – and let you know that I’ve come to the realization that sometimes you need to just try things out to know that they don’t work. A fresh start for the New Year!

So here an update on the spare bedroom – turned nursery – and why I’ve avoided any updates until now.

A recap from the summer – What I did to the room was the following

(1) I painted the walls in white – like super-dooper white with no tint. I had painted my basement office in this colour and LOVED it (and still do) and so I thought the same colour could be used upstairs. (I was wrong)

(2) I painted the old wooden floors white.

nursery before
Above, The Nusery Before. It was a newly painted REALLY white room. This is taken right before I started to hate it.

So…what happened?
Try as I might to love the all white room, it was VERY white. I would walk into the room and feel uninspired. Then….I found out I was pregnant, and the uber-modern look I had previously been inspired by no longer seemed right to welcome a baby into. Not only did I feel uninspired, I felt sad walking into the room. Some nights I would lie in bed and tell Aubrey I hated the room – Absolutely hated it.

Jump ahead a bit and recently I repainted the room in Cloud White like the rest of our house. (I know you’re thinking…wooooah, she’s adventurous!) But the Cloud White in this room, doesn’t show up as white…..

nursery
Above, New Wall Colour – Cloud White

In this room Cloud White appears more cream – showing you how paint can VERY much differ from room to room based on the lighting conditions. (Cloud white is everywhere else in our house, and reads as a warm white) I know that with the layering of fabrics, this wall colours provides a nice backdrop to allow any fabric colours to be integrated. So the new wall colour is staying. 🙂

An update also on our painting of the floors.
To quickly recap….The wood floors in this room weren’t worth saving. So the painting of the floors, should they not work out, wasn’t going to be catostrophic. Our next option, (should the painting not work out) would be to carpet the room. So it was an easy choice, no stress, to try the painting of the floor.

What went wrong?
I used a latex floor paint that was at the recommendation of my Benjamin Moore people. The problem….? My painted floor chips very, very easily. In retrospect, oil should have been used – It would be a lot more durable. Deb Nelson, a Toronto designer, did a floor painting project and I should have listened to her advice from her blog, which was to use oil. Since I’m pregnant, we can’t repaint in oil because of the fumes, so attempting oil at this point is out of the question.

Sooo……we’re going to carpet this room. I’m not upset – as I think with a baby carpet will be nicer for he/she to crawl around on, and it will make the room warmer.

carpet
Above, Checking out carpet samples

We’re searching for the right carpet, perhaps with a little waffle detail…We went to Home Depot but I know that independant carpet stores are usually less expensive, so we’re going to go tackle finding a carpet soon. (Any recommendations from Toronto people on where to go?)

So that brings you up to date on my mistakes, and what we’re doing/have done to fix it. 🙂

[email protected]
    January 3, 2010 at 12:42 am

I was wondering what happened to this room! Thanks for the update – I think carpet will be a great addition and will be super cosy. I know carpet isn't 'in' for houses, but when I walk into a carpeted room I just LOVE it! So it will be perfect for a nursery!

Pip
    January 3, 2010 at 1:35 am

Those look like nice cozy carpet options for the room. The baby will probably appreciate the softness too.

I heard an interesting stat once that babies raised in houses with hardwood walk faster because it's less comfy for them to crawl. Having no experience in this area I have no idea about the truth but possibly an interesting bit of trivia ;o).

Kay*
    January 3, 2010 at 1:50 am

Thanks for the update! I love when bloggers share what didn't quite work – makes them seem more 'real.' – so thanks. I've been debating on painting my apartment (hate the builders beige) but first need to decide how much longer i'll be renting there. Cloud white is on my list and I'm glad you showed what it looks like in this room compared to the rest of the house…curious – what direction is the window facing in the nursery. My windows are south facing – wondering how it may read in my place.

Happy New Year!

Wanderluster
    January 3, 2010 at 2:48 am

No mama wants to walk into her nursery and feel sad! So glad you repainted and are happy with it now 🙂

We put a really really soft looped berber from Home Depot in our nursery. I was sold when the HD guy said he had sold the same carpet to 3 other couples for their nurseries. I don't have the product info on hand but could look for it (or meet up with you at HD in Leaside if you want 😉 ).

2 Hounds Design
    January 3, 2010 at 3:30 am

Congratulations!

It is incredible having a wee one growing in your tummy and sooo exciting to decorate their rooms;)

Just make sure the carpet you select has no off gassing. It will last for years compared to a few days of oil paint fumes.

Dane

January 3, 2010 at 5:08 am

Thanks for the feedback! Although I know most of your names now, I'm going to refer to your blogger names so others know who I'm talking to! 🙂

[email protected] – Ha, yes, this room was on the forbidden to talk about topic in our household and therefore a blog post would have been a lot of *(@#&*(@& prior to the repainting. 😉 I too am under the initial impression that carpeting a room isn't the best for resale, but I always take comfort in the fact that Sarah Richardson, when she designs bedrooms always suggests carpets…I figure if she, the design guru of all, says it's ok…I feel safe. 😉 And plus, it's cozier on the feet. 🙂

Pip – I actually was one of those babies that grew up with a really rough carpet, so I ended up crawling without my knees off the ground (which provided comic releif for those watching) so I'm not surprised at that stat! But the hardwood in that room would have given splinters (it gave US splinters) and so it was a natural conclusion to add something a little softer. 😉

Kay – The room is facing East – and it's actually made colour selection really, really hard. I'm not sure if anyone else has had East facing room dilemas, but this room was really difficult. It's a super bright room. We don't have any South Facing windows so I can't tell you what it looks like, but in our West facing rooms it reads as definitely white, but in this room, as you can see, it reads as cream. I adore the white, and it's my go to colour in times of crisis! 😉

Wanderluster – I actually was admiring your carpet (as I often admire your nursery) and wondered where you had gotten it, so I may just very well take you up on that offer to come with me to Home Depot – I'll buy you a Starbucks from that complex as my thanks! (Really, I may take you up on that offer if you don't mind!)

2 Hounds Design – The smell from the latex floor paint was enough to send me running, so I'm pretty sure you're right about the carpet as well – after getting pregnant I was really aware of scents!

Thank you all for the comments! I was ashamed to show you the mistakes, but it was only fair to explain the process! And I'm sure I'll have other bloopers in projects to come! 😉

sarah
    January 3, 2010 at 6:15 pm

Lindsay – I don't think there is any problem with carpet in the nursery. More and more of my clients are going that way, it's soft underfoot and great for babies to crawl around on. I usually source carpet from either Home Depot or ProSource. I can't recall the code number, but there is one cream waffle carpet I source again and again from Home Depot that I but into some of the most expensive homes in TO. Let me know and I'll pull the code from my files – it works really well with Cloud White – which is another one of my staples. Good luck. Sarah

January 3, 2010 at 7:33 pm

Sarah – I would LOVE to know what carpet you would recommend (if you have the chance to find it!)

I maybe shouldn't have discounted Home Depot so quickly!

January 4, 2010 at 3:49 pm

love your house and LOVE your blog!! the ikea nightstands are on my to do list for sure. just wanted to comment on the carpet…i hate to be debbie downer and i LOVE the look of the carpet but we have that carpet from home depot and it has not worn well at all. i still love the way it looks in the rooms we don't use very often (the guest bedroom) but in our bedroom it looks pretty bad – only a year old…it's hard to get dirt out of those little holes and then it kindof wears flat…like the holes go away..again only after a year…i was however very pleased with home depot – they have the best installation prices we could find – only 97 bucks – now with one room that may be beaten but for us with three bedrooms it was definitely cheaper than the price per square foot that the independent places charged…just wanted to give my insight on the carpet…love the look just didn't work out as well in reality…

Jennifer

Katie
    January 4, 2010 at 4:58 pm

i think that this room will be perfect for the baby – and sometimes just starting with a clean (all white in your case) room makes it easier to imagine how new textures and colors will work.

cousin Deb
    January 9, 2010 at 3:02 am

Cloud is my favourite colour too!