In My House/ Updates

Nursery Makeover, Part 2

Now that I’ve admitted my mistakes on the Nursery (see previous post) I can now bring you up to date on the fun stuff – Decorating ideas.

Here is a view of one area of the Nursery. It’s a very long, rectangular room. At one end we have a day bed – this is the view from which the pictures are taken below. This area I’ll turn into a couch/seating area or bed, whenever needed.

At the other end of the room is where the crib will be. (Not shown) . I’ve been debating what to do with this wall so I thought I would show you the mock ups that I created to help me visualize before nailing into the wall. 🙂

——————————

The room as it currently is.

nursery 1

———————————–
MOCK UPS

nursery 2
(1) Gallery Wall with Ikea White Frames …. with a stock photo baby. 😉

nursery 3

(2) Reduce the Gallery wall by 1 column and add the sconces on either side. Getting warmer?

nursery 3
(3) 1 Big Ikea Frame (shown to size) with 2 sconces for night time reading on either side.

Those striped “pillows” are just to show you that against that wall there will likely be a long pillow or multiple pillows to make it more of a couch vs. bed. (It’s not necessarily the colour direction)

Thoughts? Either or neither?

———-
By the way, any Torontonians able to recommend a Seamstress? Looking to have some drapes made and I wanted to try someone new vs. my other seamstress.

bagfashionista
    January 4, 2010 at 4:57 pm

the 2nd one, out of the 3

Jacci
    January 4, 2010 at 5:26 pm

I agree, the second one. I think the multiple frames makes the wall feel more spacious than just one central one, but I definitely would want the sconces, too. I think the sconces would be LOVELY for late night feedings if you had low-wattage bulbs in them or had them on dimmers. A low light option is great for middle-of-the-night feedings to help baby regulate days and nights. Another benefit of the sconces is that they would help keep the room from being *too* sweety sweet nursery-like… if that's something you'd like (which I'm guessing it is).

I also love the idea of using the twin bed as a couch option. I've been thinking the same thing for our (potentially) future nursery. Keeping the bed helps the room stay flexible and open for other purposes.

Thanks for sharing! It's really fun to follow your direction with this 🙂

~Jacci in Ohio

Jeannette
    January 4, 2010 at 5:31 pm

I like #2. I also think a series of 3 horizontally would be nice too.

As for drapery companies, I work on Birchmount Road and along my drive to work there are two drapery companies that I pass and have heard that both do nice work. They are on Birchmount near Eglinton – one being just north of Eglinton the other just south and both on the west side.

For your earlier post on carpet, you may want to splurge on a good wool carpet for its natural stain resistant properies and no VOC off gassing. I am not sure how long carpets and other furniture off gasses but something to consider for baby.

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog
    January 4, 2010 at 5:45 pm

I like the 4-frame option. The sconces warm up the space while the multiple frames allow for more art/ pictures.

Margot
    January 4, 2010 at 5:47 pm

Hi Lindsay, I like the 2nd one too! All options are nice, but the 2nd one is both warm (sconces) and practical (multiple frames). Good luck!

Kay*
    January 4, 2010 at 6:18 pm

i like #2 or #3. I'm kind of leaning towards #3…it instantly reminded me of Amanda Peet's daughters' room http://parisapartment.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/gasl_amanda_peet_11.jpg which is pretty great.

Yup. I think I like #3…I'm envisioning those pillows being pattered and think it will work nicely with 1 frame being the centre of attention on the wall instead of multiple. Then #2 on the other wall.

Kerry
    January 4, 2010 at 6:54 pm

I'm going to have to go with the majority and say I like #2 out of the 3 options the best! 🙂

Michelle
    January 4, 2010 at 7:16 pm

Wow, I'm in the minority and I'm going with the gallery wall. I like the statement it makes, the room seems bigger with that option, & the sconces look a little cluttery to me.

[email protected] at Home
    January 4, 2010 at 7:18 pm

I like option #2. With the sconces, it will be a cozy spot to curl up for feedings, reading a storybook or just cuddling; and the four frames give you lots of opportunity to documents the baby's growth (if you are doing photos).

Valerie
    January 4, 2010 at 9:39 pm

I like option #2 or a variation on it. The sconces seem like a very good idea…nice cozy area to read to the little one.

I don't know if they do custom projects (they probably do), but there is this company out of Toronto: http://www.tonicliving.com
    I haven't had them sew anything for me, I've just purchased fabric from them. Hope that helps!

sarah
    January 4, 2010 at 9:42 pm

I'm also going to be the minority and go with #1 – gallery wall is much more modern and allows flexibility to change things up down the road – with the sconces you're a bit trapped.

Sorry on the seamstress – I have no one at the moment Lindsay – my seamstress retired.

January 4, 2010 at 9:44 pm

your little area reminds me of theletteredcottage's small reading room area @ http://www.theletteredcottage.net/search/label/Reading%20Room

how bout stripes? =)

[email protected], now what?
    January 4, 2010 at 11:51 pm

Number 2 works best I think (and everyone else). Can't wait to see the finished result.

January 5, 2010 at 12:45 am

Yipppee! Thanks for the feedback! I'm actually leaning towards # 2 myself, which was a last minute switcheroo with the frames, so I'm glad I included that one in my mock ups. I'm going to take the plunge and order the sconces, they aren't super expensive (when you consider you need x 2).

Kay – I LOVE that picture of Amanda Peets room (for those looking for the link it is below)
    http://parisapartment.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/gasl_amanda_peet_11.jpg I've saved it as inspiration.

Anon – That seating nook area in the LetteredCottage is so inviting, and pretty much what I think I'm going for. I was actually going to do a box pleat at the base of the bed in co-ordinating fabrics (once we figure those out) And that picture is dead-on as to what I was hoping to use. Thank you! (For those of you looking for that link, I've posted it below)

Thank you for the links/pictures…they are helping me out so much!

January 5, 2010 at 1:44 pm

I'd say option #2 because I love the depth and added interest that the sconces provide… oh, and can you please give me some information on the lovely pendant you have in the nursery? thanks so much!
    Amy in Greenville, SC

January 5, 2010 at 5:35 pm

Hi Amy! Yikes. The name of the lighting company escapes me right now but I'm just unpacking boxes with all of my design catalogs so I'm going to try to track it down for you. I bought it in a very small store here in Toronto – but I grabbed the manufacturers name…I just have to find it. I'll keep looking for you! – Linds

Lindsay Harris
    January 5, 2010 at 7:34 pm

Hey Lindsay,

Where did you get the light fixture (in the as is picture)?

January 5, 2010 at 8:20 pm

Lindsay – the hanging light? The manufacturer name escapes me (I think Amy, the above commenter also was asking) but it was purchased from MANOR, a little store on Yonge Street, across from Mastermind (3350 Yonge Street). Talk to Mona at the store, and tell her it's the light that Lindsay bought…they should remember me as I'm always in there drooling over their stuff!

The sconces (if you're refering to those) is from Lamps Plus + they've been ordered, but haven't yet been delivered.

vez
    January 6, 2010 at 1:40 am

I like #2 as well. However, it looks a little too symmetrical, but that might just be because the mock-up has four identical photos. You may want to consider using a few different shapes/sizes of frames that go together but aren't too matchy-matchy.

The seamstress we used for our bench seat was fantastic; she was actually referred to us by wanderluster. Her name is Gail and her phone number is 647-233-6683.

Andrew