In My House/ Updates

Pink Floral Couch, Meet Ikea Slipcover

The plan for my basement studio was to always add in a couch, or seating of some sort where I could flop when I needed to draw. A lot of my work starts by hand, line drawn in pencil, traced with artist ink, and then scanned into the computer for manipulation. It’s not very “inspiring” to draw at a desk. I like comfy. I need comfy. But…a new couch wasn’t in the budget. And I do like to reuse, and be green where I can. So what does a girl on a budget do? Go steal one from your parents. 🙂

So here is the process on our slipcover story….

Step 1: I went to Potato Skins, a slipcovering destination here in Toronto and priced out a slipcover. It’s a loveseat, how much could it be? Yeah, I’m in the dark ages because it was going to cost me approx $800. Ouch. 🙁

Step 2: Ask my Mom what to do. Really. This woman should have her own advice blog/talk show. She knows what to do, and how to save us money. Her solution…”Let’s try Ikea!”

Step 3: Always trust your Mother. She found this. An Ektorp Loveseat cover for $49.99!!! AS IF! Dilema – it’s BIGGER than my sofa, but bigger is better, as at least we’d know it would fit. And the price was right. 🙂

And soooo….

couch
Above: Before, in my parents basement

And….

couch
Above: With $50 Ikea Slipcover

Ok, so the cover is obviously too big for the couch, but I don’t mind it at all. It’s comfy. 🙂 And…if I had the energy we could tailor it a bit more. And I could steam the wrinkles out (I just bought a steamer!!!)…but for now, she stays as-is.

And for the record, I know that I need to fluff up that couch with some more pillow inserts. But for $50, I’m living with it. 🙂 I’m not sure HOW we’re going to fill them up, but my Mom seems confident we can make it look a little better. 🙂 (Any suggestions on how to fill up the pillows??)

For the record, I’m not knocking the $800 custom slipcover – as it would have been SO much more tailored, and probably look a whole lot nicer. If this were for my living room, I would consider it, but for my studio, the $50 version from Ikea is perfect.

couch2
(Studio shot…Mak the Cat claiming the couch)

More studio shots will come soon, we’re slowly getting it put together, but right now it’s my busy time for “work” so it’s a bit of a mess. 😉
———–
Side story – When Aubrey was moving the couch with my Brother last night (thank you!) Aubrey noticed the make of the couch. It was made by Cooper Bros. – and Aubrey said…”That company used to be in our family.” Ummm…Really? Apparently my Mother in Law’s cousin married a Mr. Cooper and that was who owned it. (It has since been sold). So, a little piece of neat history, my childhood couch, to my new house, made by my Husbands family. 🙂 I guess it was meant to be.

sania
    December 10, 2009 at 4:37 am

Looks relaxing and comfy. Do you mind if I ask you where you got that lovely desk in the last picture? It's gorgeous!

Jacci
    December 10, 2009 at 4:51 am

Had fun reading through your blog some tonight. I came over from Urban Grace 🙂

We're in the beginning stages of what will probably be a long and drawn out house "makeover". I hesitate to call it a remodel because we aren't really tearing out walls or doing anything too extreme. Little by little, though, things are beginning to take shape.

You and I seem to have some similar design goals – your lamp post echoed my own desire to carefully choose timeless pieces when any significant dough has to be spent, your kitchen bench post is totally along the lines of what we want to do in our own eat in kitchen, your white bedroom (congrats on making it a nursery) is just like the pretty bright white I'm painting throughout our main living areas. Again, with pops of color. So, the long and short of it is, I'm coming back to read more!

The work you've done so far is really fabulous, by the way 🙂

Looking forward to getting to know you a bit.

~Jacci in Ohio

December 10, 2009 at 5:09 am

Sania – Thank you! I'm delighted you like it! I actually made the desk with some wood, and Ikea cabinets. 🙂 It's easy, and cost me under $300 -A link to the project is at the very bottom of my reply. 🙂 Let me know if you tackle it yourself, I'd love to see how it works!

Jacci – Thank you so very much for your thoughtful reply! I wish you the best of luck with the makeover, it's fun for us to document our decisions, sometimes making mistakes, but to make new friends who are doing similar projects. 🙂

Thank you for letting me know you came by, it's so nice to see comments!

Link to Desk Project:

Lindsay Harris
    December 10, 2009 at 2:42 pm

I have total office envy. I love your floors. ONe of these days I'm going to have to stop by and see your house in renovated form.

Sharon
    December 10, 2009 at 5:18 pm

Love the slipcover. It looks very cozy as is … but you could buy foam to replace the seat cushions and that would firm it up. I bought wicker outdoor furniture a number of years ago and made cushions for it. I went to a store that only sold foam, but can't remember the name (Kennedy/Ellesmere area). You buy it by the sheet, in any thickness you want, and then cut it to size for your cushions.

December 10, 2009 at 5:23 pm

Sharon – thanks for the foam tip! I actually think I'm looking for something fluffier, as the cushions are down filled right now…which I LOVE (you just get hugged by the cushions). 🙂

Leigh @ intentslife
    December 11, 2009 at 4:47 am

Found your blog through Little Green Notebook. Love all your projects – thanks for sharing!

December 11, 2009 at 6:59 pm

Thanks for visiting Leigh!! 🙂

LauraJane
    December 14, 2009 at 2:36 am

The couch looks great!
    I don't comment often, but I love your blog (and you designed my bridal shower invites in the summer!)

[email protected]:podge
    December 14, 2009 at 6:24 pm

What a ingenious idea!
    If you want bigger cushions and they are down filled you could just make a new cushion cover out of ticking (use the current one as a pattern and just make the sides deeper) and add more down (I have bought cheap down pillows and made my own throw pillow with ticking – ticking has a tight weave and resists "losing" feathers) Since you have slipcovered the cushions too, it wouldn't matter what they looked like underneath.
    Love your blog. I just bought a personalized print from your "shop" for my nieces – can't wait until it arrives. The Ikea frame is waiting to be filled. I also did a post about your prints on my blog:)

December 14, 2009 at 7:23 pm

Really enjoy your blog. Have you tried putting the slipcover through the dryer? I had one that was too big and it worked perfectly.

Ryan
    December 15, 2009 at 7:07 pm

To build up the love seat cushions, since you love the current down cushions, just add to them. Since you have a slipcover, just build a secondary cushion to make up the difference. Sewa a cover out of muslin and fill it with poly fill, or foam, or a combination. Place the new cusion under the existing one when you insert it into the slip cover. This way you can add some fullness without destroying the pillow or losing the down.

December 15, 2009 at 7:22 pm

Laurajane — Thanks for commenting!! 🙂 It's fun to see names that I've done work for over from PennyPeople. 🙂

Anonymous – I hadn't yet thought about putting the slipcover in the dryer…that actually may work at tightening it a little bit – thank you!

Ryan + Barb – Thank you for the tips on how to build up the cushions. I'm copying your replies + e-mailing it to my Mom!! (I need her help when anything involves a needle + thread! 😉

Thank you!!

Sweet T
    December 30, 2009 at 10:34 pm

More office pix please!! 🙂 I adore your space!