In Renovations

Wood Floors, how they came to be

One of the first thing people say when they walk into our house, other than hello, is they look down and go…”Nice floors”. We were initially baffled by it a little, that the floors make such a statement, but it’s a nice reassurance that we did what was right for our home. Our goal was to maintain the integrity of the house. I realized I hadn’t shown the “process” of our floors, and seeing as they cost us a good % of our funds in that month of renovating, they probably deserve a little post.

First, we chose the thinnest planks available to us, I think it’s 2″, vs’ the more modern look of 4″. We used Durasel Antique Brown to stain.

floor1

We did the hard stuff, to save ourselves as much money as possible. We tore up the old wood floors, that were neglected. We considered the option of resanding + staining, but the floors were on their last life, and wouldn’t take a good sanding. If you’ve ever torn up a wood floor, you’ll know that awful sound of nails coming out of wood. *shudder* It’s like nails on a chalkboard. We had to manually take out every single nail with the back of the hammer. I threw my back out after that incident. It still saved us TONS of money to do it ourselves, but it was back breaking.

floor2
We hired a flooring guy (whom we adore) and he installed new hardwood throughout the first floor of the house. After installing, they poured stain on the floor (I nearly had a heart attack when they did this) We took a day to pick the colour, bringing home samples to our parents, mulling it over. We picked “Antique brown” as it had little red undertones to it. (Not a big fan of reddy woods). T

floor4

There you have it! 🙂 Our floor story. 😉
—————————-
Floor – Unfinished wood, installed, sanded, and then stained on site
Stain – Antique brown by Durasel

Sharon
    October 15, 2009 at 2:01 pm

Your floors are beautiful. I love the thinner width as that would have been what was originally there. Also love the colour … not too dark.

[email protected], now what?
    October 15, 2009 at 2:19 pm

I have noticed how nice your floors are in previous posts. We ended up sanding our existing floors and staining a similar colour ( a little darker). I'm not big on red-brown either. I wish we would have laid new hardwood instead.

Sara
    October 15, 2009 at 3:15 pm

Very nice choice of stain! We chose Old Masters 'Cedar' which is (obviously) a redder shade to match the rest of the floors that we didn't refinish, however now we are going to have to redo the rest of the flooring in the house, so I wish I had chosen a darker shade. Oh well.

Katie
    October 15, 2009 at 5:35 pm

so question – why did you remove the old floors instead of just putting the new floors over the old floors? i'm asking cause we are currently planning on installing our new hardwood floors on top of the existing (and in very bad shape) floors…

October 15, 2009 at 5:49 pm

Thank you for such awesome feedback! We do love our floors, and it was surprising how hard it was to pick the colour, not too dark, not too light. They ask you how many coats we wanted, and that even threw us for a loop.

Katie – You have me stumped! I didn't realize you could lay new, over old. I think we just thought that it was best to "start fresh", and leaving the old floor was never "proposed" to us as an option. We kept the original moulding in the house (baseboards) so if we added on top of the old floor, we'd be loosing height. So, we didn't fully consider just placing new, over old, but definitely in our house it would have impacted the height, and I can see that having been problematic in a few areas in the house.

Katie
    October 15, 2009 at 6:45 pm

well, now you have me second guessing that decision… the new floors that we are getting are very thin (5/16") so the added height is not a problem for us – actually it appears that the baseboards were all raised when the carpet was installed.

anyway, i'll look into it more. i do love your darker floors, i wish that we had lighter woodword so we could also do dark floors. i just can't bring myself to paint the woodwork in our house though…

Joi
    October 16, 2009 at 1:31 am

Thanks so much for sharing!

modage
    October 16, 2009 at 6:04 pm

Fab color choice!

cousin Deb
    October 16, 2009 at 6:47 pm

Your floors are gorgeous!

Freckles Chick
    October 17, 2009 at 8:23 am

STUNNING!! They look like they're original to your house and not "mass produced", which I adore.

Wood Floor Repairs
    November 3, 2009 at 6:44 am

Thanks for your information in this blog posting.
    I am also interested in latest news on Floor Sanding.