In My House

Plain in store, Perfect in House

We’ve been without side lamps in our living room for some time. Well, we’ve actually never had any. And the lack of lamps wasn’t because of lack of funds, but instead, because of pure indecisiveness on my part for what I wanted them to be like. I debated pottery lamps, mid century modern lamps, bold, colourful lamps, and nothing was doing it for me. Then, I realized…maybe my lamps weren’t where I should be trying to make a statement….afterall, they are an investment, and I’d hate to dislike them, or for them to be out of fashion in a year. Inspired by a lamp in my Dad’s library, I decided on a classic, clean look.

After doing online research , we popped over to Yorkdale and went to Pottery Barn, and found these. I will admit, I wasn’t jumping for joy when I saw them. They aren’t dramatic, nor show stoppers in the store. However, I had a feeling that they would just really work in the room.

005

Because there is always the possibility that they wouldn’t have worked, I made sure that we could return them. But they aren’t leaving our living room..I adore them! 🙂

What did I learn from this? That sometimes pieces won’t scream at you in a store. But if you have an overall design scheme, they may be the perfect subtle piece to bring a room together. These lamps wont ever go out of style, which is why I didn’t have an issue spending a chunk of $ on them. We still have to find a carpet for the room, and we’re working on finding bookcases, so the room is slowly, but surely coming together.

Sara @ Russet Street Reno
    October 30, 2009 at 4:29 pm

Those look great in your room! Not to mention the quality at PB is superb. We also splurged on a PB 'Hamilton' floor lamp. At $200, it is more than I usually spend – but we love it and will have it forever.

Freckles Chick
    October 30, 2009 at 4:49 pm

It's PERFECTION. Timeless (it delicately balances the "modern or classic" question, you know?). And you won't get sick of it in a year or two, like so many of the trendy lamps out there right now.

Sharon
    October 30, 2009 at 6:49 pm

Your lamps are beautiful. You will never tire of looking at them. Classics are the best for the big ticket items.

Sharon
    October 30, 2009 at 6:51 pm

I just looked at the PB site … they telescope …. perfect if you want to move them around and need a different proportion. Good buy!!

Jennifer Stephenson
    November 1, 2009 at 4:19 pm

I love the lamps! They are elegant without standing out to take over the room. And how smart you are to see that some itmes which may look very pretty won't be in style in a year or so. These lamps will never lose their style. Great choice!

[email protected]
    November 1, 2009 at 5:57 pm

Those are gorgeous!! What a classic lamp for that room – you will seriously be able to use those forever.

VidaModa
    November 3, 2009 at 6:19 am

I love the lamp, simple, classic and elegant, great choice!

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row
    November 3, 2009 at 3:42 pm

It is beautiful – I love it!