In DIY

Vanity Makeover Project

When we were living in our apartment, funds were scarce. We saved, and saved for our house and we did little splurging on non-necessity items. But there was one purchase that I did Aubrey said we could splurge on, and it was such a treat to have. It was my little vanity that I found at “Of Things Past” here in Toronto.

vanity1

When we moved into the house, the vanity immediately got a place in our bedroom. However, the dark wood was making it a blemish in a room that was filled with pale and soothing colours. I wasn’t enjoying the vanity. I kept staring at it thinking that I hated it.

I think I grumbled one too many times and Aubrey finally said to me…”Paint it white”. And so, with great anxiety, I took the plunge. Now, it wasn’t an easy decision to paint it white like some painting projects that I’ve done, as the vanity was a sentimental piece as Aubrey had bought it for me. But I was reassured that if it was awful, we could have it stripped, and it would be back to the original wood.

vanity2

I am SO glad that we did it!

vanity

The Vanity is painted in Chantilly Lace by Benjamin Moore, and the new knobs were purchased at Lee Valley. They are the same knobs as my second project for the bedroom which followed later, which was my side table project for beside our bed. (I posted about the side table project over on my work blog here)

You may notice that I decided not to put the mirror up. It just wasn’t doing it for me. But I’ve saved the mirror in case I decided I “re” love it at a later date. 🙂

Sharon
    September 20, 2009 at 6:08 pm

Good decision. I love it … so much simpler and fresh … and as you say, you can fall in love with the mirror again later.

Katie
    September 20, 2009 at 7:16 pm

this looks fantastic! and i like how it goes with your bedside tables.

by the way, i think i might have to borrow your bedside table idea, i think it's the perfect solution for our room – we need some extra storage and need new tables… and don't have a lot of $$ to spend on them. i hope you don't mind 🙂 now i just need to somehow get to ikea (the closest one is 5 hours away…)

September 20, 2009 at 7:26 pm

Thanks Sharon + Katie!

Katie – the side table project is yours for the taking! I was inspired by the table in Style at Home Magazine, so I can't take the credit for the idea. I do love them, and they don't scream "Ikea" at all.

I hope you post pictures!!

cousin Deb
    September 21, 2009 at 10:14 pm

It's lovely! I love painted furniture.

Katie
    September 22, 2009 at 1:33 pm

lindsay – thanks! i actually might have found a way to get the dressers this weekend, but i have a couple of questions for you… if you don't mind 🙂 what size bed do you have? i'm trying to get a better idea of the size of the dressers. are you able to store much stuff in them (we'd like to be able to use them for some clothes storage)? also, do you think that it would be possible to do some modifications to the bottom and add feet onto them instead?

VidaModa
    September 23, 2009 at 1:17 am

Great choice, I love it in white!

September 23, 2009 at 10:04 pm

Thank you so much for the positive comments. I must say, it's nice to come to the blog and see such fun comments.

Katie – I thought that the sidetables were high when we had them by our bed, when it was simply our bed on a boxspring. You had to reach up to turn off the lights. However, when we got the proper bed, the height was perfect. Our bed is King, but I've seen the sidetables beside other beds, smaller than ours.

In terms of storage, the table isn't very deep, so you're not going to get a lot of clothes into the drawers. We use the drawers for books, magazines, socks, and nightgowns. But it definitely wouldn't be the right storage for jeans, sweaters etc in my opinion.

but for under $50 a table – it's well worth it!

Oh – and since the piece is wood, I see no issue(s) with adding feet if you need it to be higher.

Post pictures if you do the project!!!
    Linds