Caned Bed Makeover

Awhile ago I was perusing my local used furniture shop, Frontier Sales on the Danforth, I spotted this headboard in the corner. $125.00.

Untitled-1

Umm, pretty similar to this one that is $2,200.00. (Bed no longer available, but I’m pretty sure it was a Rachel Ashwell Bed when I originally sourced the price comparison)

Untitled-1

I contemplated where I could put this headboard, but it broke my heart to know that I had no where to put it. At $125 I knew it was a steal. Then….I recalled that my Mom was redoing one of her rooms, and we had just had a conversation regarding what she would have as a guest bed. I pulled out my phone, and dialed Mom, told her about it, and the next day – the headboard was being loaded into the car, and on its way to her house.

The issue – the headboard was just that. Only a headboard. The bed was brought over to Sharon O’Dowd Antiques, and they antiqued the headboard, and created a frame, and low profile footboard.

caned

And here she is, all complete. 🙂 I simply adore how the headboard was restored to be a full bed. I have had a few VERY comfy snoozes in this bed.

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog
    September 28, 2009 at 9:17 pm

Wow, nice find! That happens to me too, I see some amazing deal and I just have to find a home for it :).

Kathy
    September 28, 2009 at 10:42 pm

Looks very comfy and what a great transformation.

Sharon
    September 28, 2009 at 11:28 pm

fabulous … I just found Frontier Sales too …Sometimes you just have to have it … and then find the perfect place.

VidaModa
    September 29, 2009 at 2:07 am

lindsay, first let me say that the headboard turned out lovely, you should be very proud!

Funny story my sister and I saw the exact same headboard at Frontiers and were this close to getting it! She opted for wrought iron instead, but I am so glad you got it and restored it so beautifully 🙂

Heather
    September 29, 2009 at 2:12 am

I love the green color on the bedroom walls!

Wanderluster
    September 29, 2009 at 2:57 am

Nice transformation! And if my mom had a guest bedroom that looked like that, I'd be snoozing there too.

September 29, 2009 at 3:51 am

Thank you for all the kind words! Mom + Dad restored the bed beautifully, and it's nice that my "find" is still in the family. It's nice to have a piece of furniture with such a history.

Kasey – I agree…sometimes you just have to find homes for the really good finds. 🙂 Aubrey may not agree (the cluttered store room) but I'm sticking to my guns. 😉

VidaModa – AS IF! Small world. I think it had been there for awhile, I just had happened to know that my Mom was looking for a bed, and we were just inspired by this "find".

Heather – The green is a Farrow and Ball colour, Ummm…not sure which one, but if you're interested in knowing shoot me an e-mail at [email protected] and I'll ask my Mom to remind me. 🙂

I'll have to pass along all of the nice comments to my Mom – she'll be delighted!

Angela
    September 29, 2009 at 5:20 pm

Gorgeous! I am insanely jealous that A)my guest room doesn't look nearly that beautiful and B)I have no where to source getting a piece made over like that! I'm still hunting 🙂

Frugal
    October 1, 2009 at 5:34 pm

Absolutely beautiful – great find with the headboard! Thanks for stopping by my blog 🙂 I look forward to reading yours as well!