In Renovations

Basement Bathroom, Chapter 3 – Tiles Bought!

Well, so much for taking a break from projects. I really thought that Aubrey would be done with doing things around the house after the fence, but today he said that it was time. It was time to buy our tile. Let it be known, that I told him it didn’t need to be done right away, but maybe it’s because we’re on a roll that he feels up for the task.

We went to the best Tile Store, that is named…”The Tile Store“. We drive by it ALL the time, and a few months ago we popped in to see what they had, and it was love at first sight. The tile is now sitting in the store room.

dreamy tile

The fact that the shower/bathroom is on the small side, we felt that we were able to do some really nice tile. It will make the new bathroom a little gem. The subway tiles were the least expensive at the Tile Store, I compared the cost to Lowes, and to Home Depot. The cost was about 1/2 the cost of the two big box stores. So the main area of the shower, that accounts for 90% of the bathroom we’re tiling is being done in inexpensive tile, allowing us the little luxury of marble elsewhere.

The Marble hexagon tiles are for the shower floor. The white subway tiles are for the shower itself, and will have an accent of that glass + marble tile that you see. What isn’t shown is the bathroom floor tile (I couldn’t find it in the pile). It’s 12×12 Marble pieces, that I simply adore.

The bathroom, if you recall, is in my studio, so it will be a nice treat to have it so close. 🙂

—–
The Tile Store is located at 20 Bermondsey Rd, Toronto (No website found when I googled it)

EDIT – As some people e-mailed to ask, the pricing advertised in the store is approximately as follows (priced per sq feet) Octagon Tile – $13.00, Marble 12×12 Squares (not shown) – $9.00, Glass + Marble accent pieces $13.00 and Subway Tiles – $2.10. Please keep in mind that pricing @ the store may change, but this is what my notes say from our visit. 🙂

Katie
    September 17, 2009 at 2:23 am

i love love love these tile choices. this is exactly what i want for our bathroom when we get there. i keep hearing about the tile store on other blogs, do you know if they have other stores (in the us?)

September 17, 2009 at 3:25 am

I don't think you can go wrong with the choices which is why I loved the scheme! I'd say go for it for your house!

I don't think that the Tile Store has any stores in the US as it's a pretty non-descript store here in Toronto. The best thing I can suggest is to remember that the high profile places, in the high traffic areas, are paying the high rent prices. (And therefore, the cost on product sometimes, as a result, is higher)

It's the non descript places that sometimes are the hidden gems. Obviously, check refrences of the place, but we got a really nice feeling when we spoke to the guys at the store. I didn't mind buying from a smaller store vs. the more well known, as the service + prices couldn't be beat. 🙂

cousin Deb
    September 17, 2009 at 3:45 am

I love your choices, I think they are timeless.

September 17, 2009 at 3:47 am

Thank you! I'm looking forward to the "after" shots. Hopefully it all works out! 😉

Kristine
    September 17, 2009 at 1:37 pm

Love the choices. I've been looking for a similar glass+marble tile but do you mind sharing the pricing of it at the Tile Store? I looked at Saltillo, Olympia Tile and Stone Tile for the same tile but am still trying to do more comparison shopping to find the best price.

Kathy
    September 17, 2009 at 11:15 pm

I love your tile selection ! We are hoping for a similar look with our bathroom. We'll definitely have to check out The Tile Store since you're now the second blog to recommend them. Looking forward to seeing your "After" shots.

September 18, 2009 at 12:08 am

Yippee! I'm so glad people like the tile selection. Here is hoping that we don't mess up the installation!

So the pricing advertised in the store is approximately as follows (priced per sq feet)

Octagon Tile – $13.00
    Marble 12×12 Squares – $9.00
    Glass $13.00
    Subway Tiles – $2.10

Ok, so I'm going off my scribbled notes from before, so I may be off by a few dollars here and there. (I know, I'm not much of a help) But hopefully this helps!

September 18, 2009 at 2:00 pm

OMG…Lindsay, those are all my tiles in my bathroom!!!! You want to see pictures? Let me know, I'll forward them to you, and FYI…it looks amazing!!! 🙂
    xoxo
    Kareen

September 18, 2009 at 2:13 pm

Kareen! Hey – There is a familiar name!
    Yes -I would love to see them! 🙂
    xo
    Linds

VidaModa
    September 20, 2009 at 2:08 am

just lovely, so serene and calming 🙂

Michael
    September 9, 2016 at 1:44 am

Hey, love the look! I am doing something very very similar. Do you happen to remember what color the walls are in the rest of the bathroom? I would love to use the same color. Thanks in advance!

Briley
    March 20, 2017 at 3:46 pm

Hi there! I know this post is a few years old. I’m wondering how your marble tile has held up against scratches, wear and stain.

I’m remodelling my home and I’d love to put in marble floors but I’be heard horror stories about the upkeep of marble.
    I’d appreciate any advise 🙂

Adrienne Czinkoczi
    June 8, 2017 at 1:18 am

Hi Lindsey,
    I would love to see how your washroom turned out. I am currently renovations basement washroom and I picked very similar tiles.