In My Home Tour

Before+ After – Bedroom

Here is one of the rooms I’m most proud of….Our Master Bedroom. It was the one room in the house that got the most attention, apart from the basement renovation.

I honestly go into our bedroom every night and feel immediately calmed. But it wasn’t always that way…

bedroom before1

left plus right

Above are the 2 bedrooms rooms when we bought the house.

The left room, and the right room are equally as ugly. But the right one takes the cake, seeing as they left us that snow leopard. The right room didn’t have a closet, so we’ve debated back and forth as to whether or not it technically could be called a bedroom.

036

The construction begins, almost a few days after we get keys. We broke through the middle wall.
bedroom at the beginning

We made 2 Bedrooms one – installed a bulk head with pot lights.

closets

Above; We added His+Her Closets.

And now….

blog_masterbedroom2_aubreyandlindsay

masterbedroom2

masterbedroom

master bedroom lindsayandaubrey

(Above) Here is my little vanity that I did a makeover on. The lamp that sits on it was one of the first decor purchases Aubrey ever got for me – It was for my 2nd birthday as a married couple. Although since then, I’ve seen replicas of this lamp pop up, I know that this lamp was at the time was an investment for us as struggling, cost concious apartment dwellers. I would never, ever get rid of this lamp, because of how it reminds me of how sweet it was for Aubrey to know how something like this would make me so happy.
blog_masterbedroom_aubreyandlindsay

The bedroom, dare I say it, is done. Although we have a few little things to change around maybe over time, and I’m sure I’ll move things around, this room is being checked off as accompli. The chandelier was the last thing we needed, as for the past year a single bulb was hanging from the ceiling.

Summary of what we did to this room
The biggest thing was that we made 2 bedrooms 1, leaving us with a 2 bedroom house, instead of three. Some of you will cringe, and think this was a mistake, but hear us out. Our dilema was that we had a King size bed – and LOVED it. When we were doing house hunting, these little homes in these fabulous neighbourhoods, just weren’t cutting it for room sizes. We wanted our life in our home to be comfortable, and not to feel pushed out too soon, so we decided that having a fabulous Master was well worth it. We made His + her closests (there were no closests prior to this) and we carpeted throught the room.

Roundup of sources

Where to Buy
Bed: Colette, Crate and Barrel in Erin Fabric – King
Knit Pillows on Bed: HomeSense
White Coverlet: Restoration Hardware
Duvet (not shown) Au Lit
Side Tables: Ikea Rast Table Makeover Project (click here for post)
Chandelier: Jonathan Adler, Meurice Pendant, Universal Lighting

August 18, 2009 at 6:00 pm

I am in love!

August 18, 2009 at 6:19 pm

Thank you!! It is pretty comfy. 🙂

[email protected]
    August 26, 2009 at 9:01 pm

I know this is an older post, but oy I love it!! I have always loved the Collette bed – how are you finding it? How was the delivery? Quality? Are you still in love? Sigh. Beautiful room!

August 26, 2009 at 9:07 pm

Ohhh, it was the BEST investment. We actually started sleeping better after she arrived. The delivery was on time, the delivery guys were a bit crusty, but hey – that was the only thing that was bad about the whole experience. 😉 The quality is fantastic.

The reason why I alwyas wanted Colette was because it wasn't just a headboard, but the footboard/base matched. I saw similar "headboards" on the market, but I really wanted to have the whole kit + kaboodle. 😉

A+, totally love it!
    -Linds

[email protected]
    August 27, 2009 at 8:51 pm

Ahhh I'm so envious of it!! However we just bought a new mattress AND box spring and I don't think the Collette takes both, does she?

August 27, 2009 at 8:54 pm

Ahhhh – you're right. The boxsprings aren't needed for this bed. We were quite happy to get rid of ours, as we were sleeping on the boxspring + matress only for the past 2 years. I refused to spend any $ on a temp bed, as I was determined to get Colette. 😉

Lisa Canning
    November 20, 2009 at 3:22 pm

Beautiful!

kdnana
    December 27, 2009 at 8:33 pm

I've had my eye on Colette for some time now. I was starting to save up the money but I'm not sure if I should get queen or king. Right now I have nothing.

I'm thinking it will have to wait a bit more being that my two year old used our white couch as her crayon canvas. As much as I love a good work of art.. on my couch, I don't think so. I guess it gives me time to firgure out queen/king.

PS. I've bought the ikea rast and already stained and painted… now I'm shopping for the knobs. Thanks for the fab idea.

All my best, A new loyal ready
    Keidy

January 5, 2010 at 4:43 pm

Where did you get the gray toss pillows? I like that shade of gray. Love everything about the picture…i am bummed because we have White Dove painted trim, not chantilly lace or a brighter white…therefore, the Classic Gray does not stand out from it enough. So, we had to go with a darker shade called Light Pewter for our main living area (living, kitchen, sunroom and hall are all connected). Love the look of your bedroom! We have a huge white bead board window seat in our sunroom and was also curious as to who or how you made your seat cushion for yours? Thanks for tons of inspiration! Hope all is well with the nursery room progress. I have never been to Ikea (can you believe it?) I intend on making a trip soon, and can't wait! 🙂
    Jeannie

January 6, 2010 at 5:24 pm

Hi Keidy! Thank you for commenting, it's so nice to see new names. 🙂

Jeannie – The pillows are actually from HomeSense here in Toronto, which means it's hit or miss as to whether or not they still have them, as they have such a high turnover of products. I'm not sure if you're in Canada or the US, but in the US the same store is what I think they have called "HomeGoods".

The seating bench from our kitchen (I think that's the one you're refering to) is SUCH a great addition to the house, I'm so glad we did it! I actually had my Mom make it, when she offered, I couldn't refuse. 🙂 Thanks for stopping by!!

January 12, 2010 at 4:02 am

I would just love to go to sleep on that bed! So nice bedroom you have! Really, really nice work!

Tia

Christine Chu
    January 13, 2010 at 2:24 am

Hi Lindsay,
    Love the room! My husband and I are starting on the Rast table project this weekend. I also love the window treatments in your room. Where are they from?
    Thanks,
    Christine
    Brooklyn, NY

January 13, 2010 at 4:03 am

Hi Christine! Do send pictures of the rast project, I'd love to see it!!

The romans are actually pre-made romans from Lowes. (I realized I hadn't put that in the source list…sorry!)

They happened to have the exact size in the pre-made form at the store, maybe because our sized window is pretty standard in this room. Each blind cost us around $40.

The only issue I have with the blinds is that after 1 and a half years up, the backing on the blinds started to crumble due to sun exposure, and the white fabric began to yellow. We just recently re purchased the blinds, it was worth it and still cheaper to just go and rebuy the same kind, instead of having a seamstress do them. 🙂

betsy and iya
    January 15, 2010 at 12:29 am

This is very encouraging for those of us who are scared to take the plunge!! My husband and I live in a tiny condo that would feel so much bigger is we demolished unnecessary walls and opened up the kitchen a little. I'm afraid mostly of two things:

1) that it will take longer than we want
    2) it will be more expensive than we expect.

your work is beautiful!

[email protected] Suburban Cottage
    January 15, 2010 at 3:53 am

Just came over from Design Sponge. LOVE your redo. Love the bed, light fixture, tone-on-tone color scheme. Great job!

Erica
    January 15, 2010 at 9:55 am

What a fantastic bedroom!!! Can I move in? 🙂 I usually don't like the deco-style of american bedrooms (I'm from Sweden…) because they seem to be overdecorated with all sorts of fabric and lots of things, but here I felt calm just by looking at your pictures. I love the bulk head with pot lights, and how perfectly the bed fits in between the two windows. Thank you for sharing this, it really inspired me 🙂

[email protected]
    January 15, 2010 at 4:20 pm

Hi Lindsay! I purchased my Rast chests last night and was wondering which size pulls you used on your from Lee Valley? Thanks a lot for stopping by my blog the other day!

January 15, 2010 at 6:16 pm

I love that bedroom Lindsay. Tearing the wall down defintely does wonders. I was noticing in the comment section, you said there are similar headboards around, do you have any specific places in mind or was that just a general comment?

Teresa
    January 16, 2010 at 12:06 am

So very gorgeous!!! I love everything about it. Great job!

S. Wilson
    January 30, 2010 at 9:29 pm

WOW! I'm in LOVE with your master – I could just move right in! I'm searching for inspiration since a master makeover is in my near future and this is my favorite by far. How absolutely serene and peaceful your space is. Thank you for sharing this! Now on to look at more of your other ideas 🙂

May 23, 2010 at 9:11 am

absolutely adorable

Geraldine
    May 31, 2010 at 4:21 pm

I absolutely love this. You guys are awesome! <3

unitb612
    June 1, 2010 at 11:16 pm

What an amazing transformation! I didn't know people can just leave their belongings like that after they sell and move out!

HW
    July 13, 2010 at 2:06 pm

I've just found your blog today! its so wonderful! The renovation process for us has been hard and blogs like your keeps us going!

Question, the bifold doors for your closets, where did you get them and do you like them? Are they solid wood or ?

Thanks!!

mina
    August 23, 2010 at 4:33 am

This is a fantastic renovation – great work!

But seriously, why do you have to hate on the tiger – you should have found a home for it on your king bed.

Lyndsay
    November 8, 2010 at 1:06 pm

hi there 🙂 I am a new reader and I have a question for you! Your master project is INCREDIBLE…i feel calm just looking at it, I can only imagine how it must feel to climb in every night! My hubby and i would probably knock down a wall to keep our King Bed too, we are with you on that!

The thing that interests us most is your before pictures and your comment about the snow leopard being left for you. We were watching My First Place on HGTV the other night (takes place in Canada) and the buyer's new place had all sorts of crap left behind in it too…
    this never happens in the US as we have a walk-through and wouldn't close on the house if they left anything behind, and I have never heard of a seller try to either!
    Is this common in Canada?

Sara C.
    January 28, 2011 at 3:48 pm

So I have been "blog stalking" you for a little while now and cant believe some of the things that you guys do. I love them, and am of course jealous 🙂 We built a new house about six months ago and still can not figure out how to decorate it….you would think that it wouldnt be that hard, but we just dont have an eye for it I guess. We buy decor, hang it…stare it for awhile then take it down leaving only the nail holes in the wall.

I was wondering (or maybe suggesting) a new post for your blog could be people (like me) sending in pictures of home decorating disasters and getting opinions on what might make the room look a little more lively 🙂 haha…

anyway love the blog and the things that yo guys do..thanks for the inspiration

New roman blinds for the bedroom • Lindsay Stephenson
    October 31, 2016 at 8:02 am

[…] We used to have white romans on our windows in our bedroom. They were purchased at Lowes when they came to Canada years ago, and were a steal. I can’t recall the exact price, but it was economical enough that when the backs of the blinds yellowed from the sun and made the white blinds white no more – I went back to Lowes and just bought the same set all over again.  However when the second pair discoloured from the sun I wasn’t able to find the same style in-store or, online anywhere. So windows have sat naked for years. (And, potentially why my neighbours may have seen ME naked for years) Over the years I have been to all my big box store retailers & I was overwhelmed by the “custom” options that you see  (you know those BIG binders of blind options?) so I opted to just have bare windows. Custom also means non-returnable, which is where I get heebie jeebies too. […]