In Renovations

Basement Bathroom, Chapter 2 – Tile Shopping

When we renovated the basement we made the bathroom plumed for a shower, sink, and toilet. We weren’t too sure, however, whether we were going to actually complete the bathroom this summer (finances/patience all pending). To get an idea on pricing, I decided to source the tiles, and see what damage we’d do with the bathroom. We sourced out Lowes, Rona, and Home Depot, the three usual suspects for home improvement items. Lowes had a beautiful marble subway tile, but it was going to be WAY to expensive, so that was out of the question.

On the drive home from my Parents house I sometimes take a back route through an industrial road/area and always have driven by a tile store. A few days ago Aubrey and I decided to pop in and I’m so glad that we did! The prices and the selection were amazing. The subway tiles that I had priced out from Lowes + Home Depot were almost 1/2 off the cost at this store.

So here is the snapshot of what we’re thinking of going with…

bathroom

The floor outside of the shower is going to be large Marble Tiles. (SOOO dreamy)

We’re trying to keep costs low, so for the large area which is the shower, we’re going with White Subway tiles. We’re going to do the popular trick of adding a band of interesting tile at eye level to add some visual interest. This band that we chose is a mixture of matching marble from the floor with clear glass tile.

The floor in the shower (not shown in picture) will be a hexagon marble tile. We MAY do the tiling ourselves but we’re not too sure.

On a seperate note. I painted the basement in Oxford white. I wish I could write a blog post about how much I love the colour, and how wonderfully it turned out but I unfortunately can’t do such a post. To sum up the event – I hated the colour, but only decided this after I had painstakingly painted the WHOLE basement. (Insert me sitting on the steps in the basement sniffling in self pitty)

I went over to my friend across the street who is also painting her house. She had purchased Benjamin Moores “Simply White”. I asked to borrow a sample of that colour and embarassingly recaped the days event – *sigh*. I’m going to see if the colour is any closer to what I was hoping.

I ended the evening with a trip to Lowes to get a new toilet for the house, and when I got home at 10:30pm there was this bouquet on my front steps…

lavendar

My friend across the street (who knew about the paint feasco) picked a bushel of lavender from her garden and left it on my front step. That was the nicest way to end an evening. And now, the lavender sits beside my bed, and I’ll have a peacefull sleep (even though i’m covered in pain speckles)

Wanderluster
    July 30, 2009 at 2:50 pm

Hi Lindsay (again)! Just stumbled on your blog…thanks for including me on your blog roll 🙂 I love the accent tile you've chosen. It's very spa like. And I think you should try the tiling yourself. It's not that difficult. I'll be back to watch your progress!

August 1, 2009 at 4:29 pm

Hello again!! 🙂 Thanks for the vote of confidence on the tiling…that actually gives me the guts to maybe do it ourselves! 😉 Love your blog, and I hope you peek back again!
    -Lindsay

August 4, 2009 at 6:59 pm

Hi,
    I came across your blog and I love so many of the projects you've posted. Reading Canadian blogs are great. Would you mind posting the name of the tile store? Your scheme is exactly what I was looking for myself!
    Christine

August 4, 2009 at 7:03 pm

Hi Christine! I'm so glad you found the blog! Welcome! It's our little adventure into home renos. 🙂

The tile store is actually called…The Tile Store. Go figure. I resisted posting their name as I can't really recommend them yet (as we haven't bought from them) but they were SO nice.

The Tile Store
    20 Bermondsey Rd, Unit 1 Toronto, M4B 1Z5
    (416) 757-8453

November 19, 2009 at 2:16 am

Hi Lindsay,

We really like the marble glass tile mix you selected. Would you mind telling me where you sourced that tile (was it also at The Tile Store), and if so, what was the price per sqft or sheet?

Thanks in advance
    Steve

November 19, 2009 at 1:40 pm

Hi Steve – yes, it was at the Tile Store. 🙂

Here are the pricing…(priced per sq feet) Octagon Tile – $13.00, Marble 12×12 Squares (not shown) – $9.00, Glass + Marble accent pieces $13.00 and Subway Tiles – $2.10. Please keep in mind that pricing @ the store may change, but this is what my notes say from our visit. 🙂

I did another post showing the tiles here:

Good luck! – Lindsay

June 21, 2010 at 8:08 pm

the tile store are cheats.

June 21, 2010 at 8:23 pm

they buy their tiles from Olympia Tile and sell it to you for 5 times the cost.

June 21, 2010 at 10:47 pm

Hi Anonymous! I'm so sorry you had a bad experience with them. We actually were REALLY happy with how they treated us and the costs we received, but I haven't shopped there in awhile so I'm not sure if things have changed. 🙁